NASHVILLE, TN - OCTOBER 09: Defenseman Ryan Suter #20 of the Nashville Predators tries to catch the mask of teammate goalie Anders Lindback #39 in a game against the Anaheim Ducks on October 9, 2010 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Frederick Breedon/Getty Images)
Hockey, perhaps more than any game, has a litany of high-quality player nicknames. NHL-wide, there's "The Great One" (Wayne Gretzky), "The Great 8" (Alex Ovechkin), and many, many others. Here in Nashville, we're pretty plain - "Toots" (Jordin Tootoo), "Peks" (indeed, its on Rinne's goalie mask), "Shea Freaking Weber" or "The Beast" for our captain, and many others. At any rate, whether they are hilariously creative or a variation on the player's name, everybody needs a nickname.
In that spirit, then, we should endeavor to find a suitable nickname for Nashville's latest backup goaltender, Anders Lindback. He's 6'6 and from Sweden, so there should be plenty of options, right?
I posed this question on Twitter early in the day, so what follows are the options I was presented with. If you have better suggestions, please leave them in the comments.
- "Lindy", via @jam911 and @PredsOnTheGlass.
- Lando", via @racheladdison.
- "Triple Lindy" via @SingletonPreds.
- "Lindbackup" via...I can't remember. This was from several days ago, so whoever this idea was from - forgive me.
- Finally, my personal favorite: "Anders the Giant". This was initiated by @crummyjoel on the @PredFans Twitter group, and then later taken to the next step by @racheladdison with the following poster:
My vote out of the above options has to go for "Anders the Giant". It encompasses popular culture, his height, and his first name is obviously quite similar to the nickname's origin, Andre the Giant.
So what do you think? Vote in the poll and sound off in the comments.
What should Anders Lindback's nickname be?
Lindy (53 votes)
Lando (20 votes)
Triple Lindy (12 votes)
Lindbackup (12 votes)
Anders the Giant (106 votes)
Other (leave in comments) (15 votes)
218 total votes