The Nashville Predators couldn't have played a much better game as they tried to rebound from Tuesday's disappointing loss in Toronto, with Pekka Rinne making 30 saves for his second shutout of the season, and Marcel Goc scored twice in a 3-0 win. The specter of injury was raised once again, however, as David Legwand took a hit along the boards late in the 1st period and left the game with a lower body injury. With Matthew Lombardi's recovery timetable still unknown at this point, the Preds can ill-afford to lose their only other veteran full-time center.
Follow after the jump for the video highlights, reaction, and of course, the advanced even-strength stats...
The Preds return to Bridgestone Arena Wednesday, November 24 against the St. Louis Blues, and also host Sean Avery & the New York Rangers on Saturday the 27th, so use the OtF discount to save money on Nashville Predators tickets for these, or any other home game. Remember, Preds tickets can make a great holiday gift, so look through the schedule, and pick out a game!
First, the video highlights...
- While much of the focus was on Sergei Kostitsyn's return to Montreal, it was Francis Bouillon who made the biggest impression with his fine work setting up Goc's 1st goal. He ended up 3rd Star of the Game, and received a nice round of applause from the Habs crowd.
- David Legwand got smeared along the boards by Roman Hamrlik in the 1st period, on a play which should clearly have been called interference, but was not. Legwand didn't return, so obviously we'll all be on the lookout for updates on that front.
- SK did hear the boos from the Habs fans whenever he had the puck on his stick for any length of time.
- Pekka Rinne looked sharper than he has in a long time, and it was sorely needed.
- The great thing about that O'Reilly goal was how strongly Cal charged the net, is he starting to show some goal-scoring hunger?
- In the comments following my Kostitsyn article earlier today, some called out Colin Wilson for his lack of consistent production as well. Tonight, however, neither made much impact on the game. Check out the dismal numbers below.
- Goc's 2nd goal, which iced the game, was a thing of beauty. Cut off from attacking the net, he simply used Josh Gorges as a screen and Carey Price had no time to react to his quick wrist shot.
- Kevin Klein had a generally sound game, but boy does he ever seem to cough up one doozy of a chance each game, or what? He whiffed on a pass in the 2nd (with about 7:25, it's in the video highlights) that led directly to a dangerous scoring chance for Montreal. Maybe there's a Maalox sponsorship opportunity here?
- From here, the Preds head to Carolina, where the SlapShot Radio road trip crew will cheer them on. If you're going, have a great time, and let 'em hear you on the ice!
As for those advanced stats...
|Even Strength||Individual Totals||Team Totals While Player Is On Ice|
|Player||Pos||EV TOI||Shots||Shts Blkd||Missed Shts||Blocks||SOG For||SOG Ag||SOG +/-||Tot SF||Tot SA||Corsi|
Be sure to "Like" our site on Facebook (now at www.facebook.com/OnTheForecheck)! To keep up with all of our coverage of the Nashville Predators, you can follow us on Twitter (@Forechecker, @predatweeter, @SLakePreds & @AdsRoundtable) and if you have any questions, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.