No answers tonight, boys.
There's no other way to describe this one, folks - the Nashville Predators came out and laid an egg during the home opener, falling behind 3-0 in the first period and showing only moments of competitiveness the rest of the way, dropping tonight's contest 5-2 to the Phoenix Coyotes. Ryan Suter and Colin Wilson scored the goals for Nashville, with David Legwand adding two more assists.
Follow after the jump for the grim details...
First up, the video highlights (may not be ready until 10:30 p.m.):
Scattered thoughts on tonight's game:
- Can we dispense with the notion that playing a team in their home opener is especially tough, because they'll be fired up for the home fans? I'd love to see a comprehensive record on this, but just as often, it seems the home team can come out flat after all the ceremony.
- Niclas Bergfors shoots the puck. That's a good thing. As you'll see in the table down below, when we was on the ice, shots got fired on goal.
- It was interesting to see Jordin Tootoo try to stir up some fisticuffs with Paul Bissonnette in the second period, for a couple reasons. First of all, isn't that Brian McGrattan's job now that he's here? Also, Bissonnette was smart enough not to get involved. For the Coyotes, they wanted to just melt the clock and get out of town.
- After three games, Sergei Kostitsyn finally put a shot on goal. I know, I know, he's just working himself up to speed before really letting them fly, right?
- I thought Mattias Ekholm looked OK in limited action, I hope he gets more work.
- On the defensive side, it was almost too difficult to pick out individual errors, things were so consistently bad. The Coyotes seemed to move the puck around at will during the early part of the game.
- Chalk this one up to the Preds' issues at forward, really. Without Erat, Fisher and Hornqvist, the rest of the group was horribly exposed.
|Even Strength||Individual Totals||Team Totals While Player Is On Ice|
|Player||Pos||EV TOI||Shots||Shts Blkd||Missed Shts||Blocks||SOG For||SOG Ag||SOG +/-||Tot SF||Tot SA||Corsi|
Who is your Predator of the Game?
Vince Gill (130 votes)
130 total votes