The Nashville Predators just couldn't muster much offensive pressure tonight in Calgary, as the Flames plodded their way to a 1-0 victory behind Miikka Kiprusoff's 26 saves. Despite a late power play and a bit of a flourish with Pekka Rinne pulled in the final minute, the Preds just couldn't score, making this the first time all season they've been shut out.
Video highlights and reaction after the jump...
First the video (might have to wait until 45 minutes post-game for them to work):
Not-so-random observations from this one:
- There was plenty of blame to go around on that opening goal for Calgary. Two forwards up on one defenseman at the top of the zone (my eye's on you, Craig Smith), and a mix-up between Shea Weber and Colin Wilson down low with led to Derek Smith being left wide-open for the tap-in.
- For the most part, it was a typical Preds-Flames game, very few dangerous chances either way, and a pace that could lull viewers to sleep at times.
- Give full marks to the Calgary defense, once they got the 1-0 lead they shut things down pretty effectively. How many odd-man situations were the Preds able to create through center ice? I couldn't recall any.
- Roman Josi looks perty out there. Real perty. It's hard not to want to see him play a major role ASAP.
- Sergei Kostitsyn with 2 shots on goal. More of that, please!
- Jordin Tootoo put in his full night's work, and even spilled a little blood on-camera, too.
It's time to put this one in the rear-view mirror and rest up for Vancouver on Thursday night, that will be a major test.
Who was your Predator of the Game?
Roman Josi: 17:00 TOI, 3 Blocked Shots (82 votes)
Pekka Rinne: 28 saves (62 votes)
Jerred Smithson: 9-for-11 on faceoffs (28 votes)
172 total votes