The Nashville Predators fell behind early and just couldn't come back as the Detroit Red Wings rolled to a 4-1 win on the strength of two goals by Valtteri Filppula. Jonathon Blum got the lone goal for Nashville, as the Preds' power play failed to connect on five full chances. Ryan Ellis made his NHL debut, firing one shot on goal, taking a penalty, and finishing with a -1 rating.
Marc will be along later with insight from the locker room and more on Ellis, but for now, we've got the video highlights and reaction after the jump...
First the video (might take 30-45 minutes post-game to work):
Your scattered observations:
- David Legwand gets a demerit for that 1st period goal by Filppula, he just coasted on the backcheck and let Filppula walk in for a drool-inducing opportunity from the slot.
- Quoth the NHL's Situation Room on that 2nd goal: "At 12:52 of the second period in the Detroit / Nashville game, video review was used to determine if Pavel Datsyuk's wrap around shot crossed the goal line. Video Review was inconclusive, referee's call on the ice stands. Good goal Detroit." I can understand the frustration because the ref on the scene clearly signaled "No Goal", but it did look like the puck went in.
- The Preds came out during the game with a statement that Shea Weber was out of the lineup with an upper body injury, so feel free to speculate away (strained beard, perhaps?). All I know is that this team can't afford to have him out for very long.
- That said, I'm not averse to seeing more of Ryan Ellis. He looked pretty good on the power play at times, although of course there were a few *facepalm* moments along the way.
- With the loss, the Preds have now won 18 and lost 18 this season.