The Nashville Predators earned another win on home ice tonight, beating the Philadelphia Flyers 4-2 thanks to 36 saves from Pekka Rinne, and two-point nights from Mike Fisher, Martin Erat and Sergei Kostitsyn, who each chipped in a goal and an assist.
UPDATE: Listen in as Roman Josi joined Willy Daunic on the post-game show to talk about the win:
Nick Spaling, who is apparently Nashville's Lucky Charm, kept it working as he scored a goal. Follow after the jump for video highlights & reaction...
First the video (might take 30-45 minutes post-game to work):
Your random observations:
- The first period was a whirlwind of activity, wasn't it? It was especially good to see that power play goal late in the period, a classic example of Hornqvist working the front of the net, even if he didn't end up getting any credit for the score.
- That Sean Couturier was pretty impressive, showing speed and a touch of moxie in the offensive end.
- Ryan Ellis certainly earned himself a spot on the season highlight video with that hip-check he laid on Wayne Simmonds early in the 2nd period, landing one of those in open ice (as opposed to along the boards) is extra-impressive.
- Talk about dueling wicked wristers... Kostitsyn's score followed by Couturier's were great examples of guys executing shots that a goalie has little to no chance of stopping. Bouillon gets a black mark for leaving Couturier so wide-open, however.
- You had to know the Flyers were going to put on a strong push in the 3rd period, and once their collection of forwards got rolling, they can be a handful for any team.
- Surprising stat of the night? After Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, the next-most ice time on defense went to Roman Josi, who went 20:33 and looked pretty good out there. I was wondering how he'd fare against a team with such an impressive array of forwards.
- Chris Mueller acquitted himself well in limited action, and we'll have to see how quickly Craig Smith recovers from his illness. The Preds play next on Monday afternoon, so it's possible Mueller could get another game or two (or five - remember how long Kevin Klein's flu took?).
Who is your Predator of the Game?
Martin Erat: goal, assist (23 votes)
Sergei Kostitsyn: goal, assist (50 votes)
Pekka Rinne: 36 saves (128 votes)
Nick Spaling: goal (38 votes)
239 total votes