The Conspiracy: The NHL wants it's best players in the Eastern Conference and makes this happen. Why you ask? Eastern teams play in prime time and are typically more populated. Both lead to more money and more publicity for the league. They continued to take steps to make this happen until recently when they decided to make the numbers look less conspiracy like by giving Edmonton the last 3 top picks along with Colorado this year. They may have also seen the errors of wanting the best players in the East (Doesn't grow the sport as quick).
Some Draft Stats to base the Conspiracies on Primarily from http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=18342 :
1) There have been 19 Drafts since the Draft Lottery has been in place (Counting 2013).
2) The worst team in the league since 1995 has been an Eastern Conference team 14 times out of 18 (One year was the lock out).
3) Out of the 4 other years, Columbus was the worst team once and they are an Eastern Time Zone team.
4) The worst team has not won the lottery 12 times.
5) The worst team did not use and/or have the first pick 8 times, 9 if Colorado keeps it this year.
6) The Western Conference has won the lottery 8 times.
7) Out of these 8, 5 times the team was unable to move up to #1 or was the worst team already.
8) The East has moved up to #1 4 times by winning the lottery.
9) An Eastern Conference team has used the 1st Overall pick 12 times. Counting this year, the West has had the last 4. This means at one point the East was 12 out of 15. Plus the 1 Columbus...so 13 out of 15.
Anyone going to give the bandwagon a push to get it moving? I'll just put it there for others since I don't think this conspiracy actually exists. I think......