Let's ignore the simple facts that something like this would never happen for the numerous reasons like No Trade Clauses, Real Money left on contracts, etc. I am just curious about 3 aspects of this crazy trade scenario.
1) Would you as a fan of the Predators be in favor of this?
2) Do you believe Penguin fans would be in favor of this?
3) Do you believe teams trading a superstar defenseman for a superstar forward in order to "balance" their respective lineups should happen in the NHL more than it does?
Some pertinent information:
1) Weber turns 29 in August, Malkin turns 28 in July.
2) Weber has 329 points in 584 Games. 123 are goals. Malkin has 618 points in 505 games. 235 are goals.
3) Their first full season for both was '05-'06. In his 6 full seasons (Not counting this season or the shortened season last year) Weber averages playing in 75 games a year. Malkin average 71.
4) Weber signed through 2025-26. At cap of 7.85. Malkin signed through 2021-22 for 9.5 Cap hit. My way of seeing this, 1 of a team's possible 3 or 4 huge contracts being swapped.
I was just thinking today how we have arguably the best Defenseman in Weber and the Penguins have arguably the 2 best centers in Crosby and Malkin as well as plenty of other forward talent. That made me wonder about this scenario and how it could make sense for both teams to make such a trade and how you never see this big of names attached to such a trade.