Even in a weak draft class, the #1 pick in the draft is still expected to be able to help any team in the league fairly significantly. Now that the Panthers may have indicated they would prefer to trade the #1 pick in this year's draft, this brings up a few questions for us Predator fans.
1) Do you believe there is a deal the Panthers would or should accept from the Predators that would still be a benefit to the Predators?
If your answer is yes...
2) What offer or offers do you believe Poile should make to the Panthers for the #1 pick?
3) Who is the best Predator player or players that you would include in a trade that the FEATURE of the return from the Panthers is this year's #1 pick? (The pick isn't the feature if you're getting another big time player or prospect)
4) If that player isn't included in the answer to the first question, what deal would you make involving this player?
1) I do think there is at least one offer the Predators should make. There are probably multiple offers that would each leave the Predators in very different scenarios.
2) I'd probably prefer an offer that consisted of something like our #11 pick, Wilson, Ekholm or Ellis, and a prospect not named Jarnkrok or Forsberg. This offer obviously is the type that doesn't give up much in the way of established players. It gives up an underachiever in Wilson and a defensive player that has been in full time duty for a season. If they wanted one of our older vets (like Fisher or Cullen) instead of one of these or as a throw in then that could be considered.
I could also see a situation unfold where the Panthers would only consider this if Smith was involved instead of Wilson. I'm not certain it would be worth it to the Predators then.
3) The best Predator player I'd put up would be Josi (I'm saying he's better than Hornqvist).
4) A Josi trade would be a Josi for their pick straight up. Definitely not including a 1st or 2nd round pick with it. I'd probably be willing to throw in a lower end prospect or pick, although I don't know that it should be necessary here. The Predators might could even use this trade as a way to get rid of some other salary like Stalberg or Cullen.
So, what would you guys do? Do you think my above scenarios are too much or too little?