The Predators Development Camp officially got underway this morning, with prospects and new draftees making their way to Nashville for the annual training session. There wasn't as much action on the ice as there will be in the coming days, but it was still the prospects' first day to get together with the Predators' staff and, for some, meet their new teammates.
Follow after the jump for some thoughts and soundbites from today...
Thoughts from Day 1:
- Most of the workouts today were off the ice. Each player went through a workout routine with the coaches and trainers just trying to get their feet wet and get warmed up for the next few days.
- For all the hype that surrounds Ryan Ellis, he's remained extremely humble through the whole process. He understands that there is a process, and while he is eager to get into the NHL, he also knows there's still a lot of work and developing to be done.
- Ellis knows where the strengths and weaknesses are in his game. He talked today about how his strengths are his speed and offensive ability, but that he has been working tirelessly on his defensive game, especially being aware in the defensive zone.
- A lot of people questioned picking Magnus Hellberg with the first pick in the draft, but after talking to him today, I'm convinced it was the right move. Hellberg is the same size, plays the same style as Rinne and Lindback, and should do really well under Mitch Korn and the Predators' system.
- Hellberg told us today that he had some trouble getting his equipment over from Sweden. Good thing there's two other 6'5" Scandinavian goalies on our team that he can borrow pads from...
- Tomorrow will be where things really start getting interesting, and the prospects will take the ice and run drills and scrimmages. The on-ice sessions are open to the public and the full schedule of the week's activities can be found here. Check back tomorrow evening for more audio clips, pictures, video and more from Predators' Development Camp.
Check out audio from Ryan Ellis and Magnus Hellberg today, including a couple of questions at the tail ends of each from yours truly...