If you're sick of watching other NHL teams chasing the Stanley Cup and need to scratch your hockey itch, there's a great chance to do just that this weekend at the Music City Sports Festival.
Besides the obvious opportunity to check out Nashville's shiny new toy, the Music City Center, there are a bunch of hockey-related events to draw Nashville Predators fans downtown. That's no coincidence, considering that their radio broadcast partner 102.5 The Game is a driving force behind the event.
Here's a look at the hockey-specific activities to be found:
Friday, May 31st
- 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. Youth street hockey clinic featuring Scott Walker & Stu Grimson (register online)
Saturday, June 1st
- 9:10 Brent Peterson signing copies of My Toughest Faceoff
- 11:00 - noon Colin Wilson autographs
- Noon - 1:00 p.m. Youth street hockey clinic w/Scott Walker & Stu Grimson (register online)
- 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. Scott Walker & Stu Grimson autographs
- 3:15 - Scott Walker & Stu Grimson segment of the Speaker Series
In addition to those specific timeslots, there will be a youth inline hockey tournament taking place near the Predators' booth, as well as a Hockey Shooting event that is part of the Powerade Zero Games, a 12-stage all-around skills competition that attendees can attempt (the grand prize is pretty swell, too).
Stay tuned to my Twitter feed (@Forechecker), as I'm participating in a run-through of the Games along with members of the Nashville media Friday, well before the doors open at 3:00 p.m. (the complete event schedule is here). I'll see if I can tweet some pics to give you a sneak preview of the new venue which we all hope brings an NHL All-Star Game to Nashville sometime in the near future...