The Predators' accolades are starting to accumulate going into tonight's game. Along with the lead in the Central division, we have a Rookie of the Month, the third star of the month, and we are (finally) at the top of most of the power rankings. The POWER RANKINGS, you guys.
So how do the Preds celebrate? A night off in Carolina!
Just what was that we just watched?
For about 55 mins, this game was as yuck as yuck gets. Carolina with a couple of sneaky goals from our old friend Jeff Skinner and Victor Rask and before you knew it it was 2-0 Canes. The Preds made a game of it when Mike Ribeiro scored late in the 3rd, but that was about it. Hurts to drop 2 points to a team with less than half your win total.
- Teams trading chances for much of the 1st period, with some solid goaltending by both Pekka Rinne and Cam Ward. Ward made the biggest stop of the period on Taylor Beck, who had a semi breakaway. It was an otherwise forgettable 1st period, up until Principal Skinner scored.
- If I could pick any young player in the league for the Preds to have, it would be Filip Forsberg. Buuuut, if I had a second choice, it might be Jeff Skinner. Mostly so he would stop scoring on us.
- "He is the nicest human in the world" -Seth Jones about Filip Forsberg.
- Dare I say we look slow? tired? distracted? We aren't making smart decisions in the offensive zone at times, though we are bringing some good pressure. Only 18 shots through 2 periods. We had 20 in the 1st period alone against Columbus.
- Ryan Ellis creating the best offensive chance in the 2nd after skating in and around the Canes defense. No dice, but it was a nice refreshing dose of energy that the Preds needed. It may take a defenseman like Ellis or Josi pushing the puck up to get the scoring going.
- I think Pekka just tried to take a shot on goal. I'm pretty sure that's not what I meant.
- Speaking of Pekks, he just saved the Preds from going down 2-0 after he stopped Gerbe during an odd-man rush. Still only 1-0 Canes, but it feels like much worse.
- Also: no penalties through 2 periods? Someone has dinner reservations at 9.
- The Victor Rask goal hurts, and Rinne is visibly upset with himself. Should have had that one.
- Even with the score at 2-0 Canes and with a rather lackluster performance by the Preds thus far, I totally expected a comeback late in the 3rd. Wins breed confidence, I guess.
- And then Ribeiro gets it started! Talk about WIDE open. He had time to take the puck out of the air with his hand, place it onto his stick, move to the backhand and put it top shelf. By the way, you should go buy this.
- Crazy finish as the Preds finally get a power-play, but the 6 on 4 late advantage falls short. Holy yuck.
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Pekka Rinne: the Rask goal didn't look great, but let's be honest... he was the only Predator playing moderately well tonight.
- Craig Smith: his pressure was one of the bright spots for the offense. His line was competing all night, just didn't get anything by Ward.
- The Power Play: only 0-1 tonight! Improvement!
Tweet Of The Night
This game sucks— Ryan Ellis (@HumanRocketship) December 3, 2014
Yes it did.
Roll the video highlights...