Tonight, the Predators put in a great effort on the road against a very good Montreal team. Both teams are at the top of the league in points, and both wanted to go into the All-Star break with a big fat W.
The first period was all Preds. They were the more aggressive team for the whole period. Unfortunately, they couldn't get a goal under their belts. Luckily for them, Seth Jones always comes to play in Montreal. He launched a rocket from the point that Mike Ribeiro tipped to give the Predators the lead. Craig Smith cost the Preds by taking a bad penalty early in the third as Alex Galchenyuk scored to even things up. Regulation wasn't enough time to settle this one though. P.K. Subban netted the game winner to give the Canadiens the two points.
- Nashville got some great chances early in the game. They came out fast tonight and really could have put the Canadiens in a hole early. If it weren't for a couple of whiffed shots, the game could have been 1-0, but instead, the game was still tied.
- I want to go on record and say that I don't think Carter Hutton has played badly in his starts. In fact, he typically gets better as the game goes on (exclude the Detroit game). The thing that gets me about Hutton is that he usually gives up a goal early in games. It is a complete momentum killer, and forces the Preds to change up their game plan from the get go. With that being said, I think Hutton played well early in this one. Granted, Nashville came out aggressive and took some of the pressure off of him.
- 'Murica! Seth Jones' blast from the point on the Predators' first goal of the night was an absolute laser. Carey Price had no chance. I'm starting to think that Jones just loves playing against Montreal. He just always seems to find the back of the net against them. After review, the goal was later changed to Ribeiro.
- Wowza! Seth Jones is doing everything tonight. He had the best defensive play of the game late in the second when he knocked away a puck that was bound for the back of the net.
- Holy Hutton everyone! What a save to preserve the lead for the Preds at the end of the second period. I also happened to take a look at the shots at the end of the second, and the Predators were absolutely dominate through the first two periods. Just to give you an idea of how one sided it was, the shots were 28-13 in favor of Nashville.
- That penalty to Craig Smith really hurt Nashville. Alex Galchenyuk made them pay with a power play goal. Not even going to blame that one on Hutton.
- Smith cost the Preds again in OT. This time is was Subban who made Nashville pay.
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Seth Jones: Goals, saves, bald eagles, 'Murica!
- Filip Forsberg: He notched his 25th assist of the season tonight. Yea, he's pretty good guys
- Carter Hutton: He made 25 saves and kept the Preds in it at crucial moments of the game.
Tweets Of The Night
Can you imagine Preds twitter if Hutton gives up the first goal? #raincloud— On The Forecheck (@OnTheForecheck) January 21, 2015
Galchenyuk is out-American-ing Seth Jones in Canada. How is this possible?— JoshuaCooper (@JoshuaCooper) January 21, 2015
Roll the video highlights...