The Nashville Predators opened 2015 on Saturday afternoon with an unbelievable 7-6 win over the Los Angeles Kings. With key players like James Neal, Taylor Beck, and Matt Cullen missing from the lineup, the Preds received contributions from almost everywhere. Mike Fisher, Colin Wilson, Ryan Ellis, Mattias Ekholm, newbie Mark Arcobello, oldie Olli Jokinen, and the hero Roman Josi scored for the Preds, while Matt Greene, Alec Martinez (twice), Dwight King (twice), and Jeff Carter scored for the Kings.
What looked like a dominating Preds win ended up being an incredible LA comeback. While a win is a fantastic start to the new year, they don't usually come with such sickening feelings. That could have been a game-changing loss for the Preds, but instead Roman Josi saves the day. Preds get 2 points the hard way.
- Before I could finish my afternoon tea, the Kings were up 1-0 on a goal by Matt Greene. His shot deflected on its way to the net, but we've seen Pekka snag those before. Not a great start.
- But then Mike Fisher ties it up 4 minutes later! Great hand-eye coordination by Fishy to smack home the bouncing puck. Still haven't finished my tea.
- Preds score again!! Two goals in under two minutes to take a 2-1 lead. Great play by Colin Wilson as he looked to feed the puck across for the score and it deflects in. Tea finished.
- WOW. Ryan Ellis just hammered home a one-timer on the power-play. The cross-ice feed from Mike Ribeiro was sensational. 3-1 Preds lead. And now Martin Jones will replace Jonathan Quick.
- That Ellis shot though. Beaut.
- Viktor Stalberg in the 1st period: 1 assist, +2, 4:08 TOI, 67% Corsi-For
- Flood gates: opened. Mattias Ekholm sends a shot in from the blue-line that deflected off Drew Doughty's stick, and then Mark Arcobello gets his first as a Predator, and what a nasty shot it was. He found some space down the left side and ripped a wrist shot over Jones. 5-1 Preds!
- Alec Martinez just scored to control the bleeding for the Kings, but the Preds are still getting scoring chances in waves. This team's confidence is soaring to new heights.
- Well now. The Kings score again to make it 5-3. Dwight King tips in a low shot from the point and the Preds now have the dreaded two goal lead.
- The Kings out-worked the Preds in the final 5-7 minutes of the 2nd Period. This already feels like a tie game, though the scoreboard says 5-3 Preds. Should be a rousing 3rd period!
- Bad Penalty Tracker: Filip Forsberg (interference), who has been a bit flat today.
- Joker scores! After the Kings dominated the period, and with the Preds on their heels, Olli finds a rebound and a wide open net to make it 6-3 Preds. And now you know what's for dinner tonight!
- Viktor Stalberg in the 2nd and 3rd periods: 0 points, -1, 31% Corsi-For, 8:12 TOI
- That Jokinen should have been a dagger. The Kings had no life. They were slain. But the Kings scored 3 times in the final 2 minutes and I don't even know.
- Is this real life? Did that just happen? This is how I feel right now.
- I mean how do you let that happen? How do let them come baaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ROMANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN JOSI! SAVED BY A SWISS!
- That is all folks. 7-6 Preds win in overtime. Easy, right?
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Roman Josi: the savior of 2015
- Colin Wilson: 1 goal, 1 assist, +3, and 15:56 TOI. With Neal out and Forsberg having an off night, Wilson steps up again.
- Ryan Ellis: 2 points, including one of the prettiest goals of the year.
- Mike Fisher: I mean, how did we NOT miss this guy for the first month and a half? He just glues everything together.
Tweets Of The Game
Calle Jarnkrok loses his helmet and it is the most glorious few seconds in NHL history. https://t.co/nPUTzb2vnW— Jim Diamond (@diamondhockey) January 3, 2015
Forget Jaime Lannister, I think we know who the real Kingslayers are today. #Preds— Dirk Hoag (@Forechecker) January 3, 2015
Roll the video highlights...