A day after allowing a most improbable comeback by the L.A. Kings, the Nashville Predators allow yet another team to come back in the 3rd period to tie it up. This time they are unable to salvage the 2nd point, and the Anaheim Ducks win in a shootout. Mattias Ekholm, Seth Jones, and Craig Smith scored for the Preds, while Matt Beleskey, Corey Perry, and Francois Beauchemin scored for the Ducks.
- Carter Hutton getting the start tonight, which is 100% the right decision. He seems up for it as he makes a sick glove save on Ryan Getzlaf, who was wide open down the right hand side. Good sign early.
- The Ducks get on the board first on a bad missed save by Hutton. Matt Beleskey sent a change-up slurve in on Hutton, who swung and missed. 1-0 Ducks. But before the Hate Hounds are unleashed upon him, you can't deny that Hutton's glove has looked sharp early. This was inexcusable, yes, but he stopped 13 of 14 shots in the 1st, and none of them were beach balls.
- The Preds had some early energy, but turnovers, lack of sustained offense, and a disappointing goal allowed by Hutton, the Preds find themselves down 1-0 after the 1st period.
- Preds tie it up!! Mattias Ekholm sends a shot in from the left point. Ryan Ellis gets the ghost assist as he let through Ribeiro's blue-line pass to Ekholm, who had the better angle. Filip Forsberg also had an assist, and he has now tied Alexander Radulov for the Preds rookie record for points in a season!
- Annnnd just over a minute later, Corey Perry gives the Ducks the lead again, as he tips in an angled pass from Rene Bourque. The Getzlaf-Bourque-Perry line has been a good one for the Ducks so far, and they each had a contribution on that goal.
- Power-play goal by Seth Jones! His second of the season! Some excellent sustained possession with the man advantage. Both Jones and Ellis ran the point to perfection, keeping the puck inside the zone, dealing with pressure well, with Jones getting the eventual score on a long shot with traffic in front. It took not one, but two deflections off of Anaheim sticks. Tie game!
- Another Duck penalty, another Preds power-play, another Preds goal! This time it's Craig Smith, who gathered up the rebound from a shot by Ryan Ellis and hammered it home.
- Mike Ribeiro is a power-play wizard. Two of his three points (so far) tonight come with the man advantage. Mostly staying out of the middle of the ice, he dances around the side wall and behind the net dangling the puck and directing the attack. It's just a joy to watch. Incredible free-agent pickup.
- Thankfully, the Ducks have turned for the worse, as they can't stay out of the penalty box. The "crowd" is feeding off the negativity, too. Preds are taking advantage, which is good to see!
- Just what in heaven's name are you doing, Frederik Anderson?
- My word, that early 3rd period penalty kill was a rocky one. So many good chances for the Ducks, but all of them stopped. Somehow.
- Yet another late game-tying goal given up by the Preds. This one comes from Beauchemin with 2:17 left in the game. They just had too much room and too many chances at the loose puck.
- That's three comebacks allowed in the last four games by the Preds. Terrible trend happening here.
- After a scoreless overtime, a shootout will decide it: Josi stopped, Perry stopped, Ellis deked a bajillion times and is stopped, Silfverberg scores, Craig Smith scores, Kesler scores to win it.
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Mike Ribeiro: 3 assists, power-play wizard, and so on.
- Ryan Ellis: 2 more assists for the Human Rocketship.
- Craig Smith: the go-ahead goal, 4 shots in regulation, awesome shootout goal.
Tweet Of The Night
Never heard empty seats boo so loud in my life.— Dan D Bradley (@DanDBradley) January 5, 2015
Roll the video highlights...