What a dud.
The Predators gave up two early goals to the Blue Jackets and ended up losing a terrible game to the 2nd worst team in the league by a score of 4-0. Gregory Campbell, Ryan Johansen, Boone Jenner, and Scott Hartnell tallied for the Jackets and they were backed up by Sergei Bobrovsky, who was outstanding in net for probably his best performance of the season.
It was the opposite of Tuesday's game against the Ducks in every way possible. Tonight, the Predators dominated possession and shot attempts, but couldn't score. It was pretty painful to watch. Ill-timed passes, low-quality shots, no traffic in front of the net, and some poorly-timed defensive mistakes. Again, we dominated in stats that can make a difference, but not in the one stat that matters.
This may have been the worst result of the year. You can't lose a regulation game to the 2nd worst team in the league who just came off of a back-to-back, who lost 2 defensemen during the game, and has a goalie who "is not playing with any confidence right now" (his words).
[hurls loud curses at the chaotic, unforgiving universe]
And now we will probably get Hutton in goal against the Wild on Saturday night. Great.
- Bad start again. Turnover in the defensive zone leads to a wide open Gregory Campbell (who?) in the slot. 1-0 Blue Jackets. That was yucky.
- The hell. Another bad turnover, another goal for the Jackets. Ryan Johansen had about 10 seconds to deke and shoot wherever he wanted to on that one. What a horrible start. I smell a Lavy timeout coming.
- Stu Grimson can't quite get the name of the Jackets goaltender down. So far I've heard "Bobobsky" and "Sobrovsky." This game sucks for so many reasons.
- Preds were superior in shot-attempts (again) in the 1st, but the Blue Jackets blocked 14 shots. Too many of those attempts looked weak and low-danger. We also look incredibly slow. Nothing looks right, really.
- Bobrovsky is playing with the swagger of a 9th grader who got sent back down to middle school to retake 8th grade math. He's all like "I got this" while ignoring his sub .900 save %.
- Boone Jenner makes it 3-0 Jackets and I am done with this game. Where is the remote?
- Preds offense right now:
- James Neal got his lunch money taken away by that bully Bobrovsky. Neal had enough time to score twice, probably. But nope.
- Our shots tonight have either been blocked or been sent wayyy wide. The Blue Jackets have had active sticks. The Predators need theirs re-calibrated.
- 12 minutes left in the game. Shot attempts: Nashville, 71... Columbus, 19. And the score remains 3-0 Blue Jackets. Statistics can be a real bitch sometimes.
- More of the same in the final 12 minutes. Hartnell scores an empty-netter and this one's over, ladies and gents. 4-0 Jackets win.
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Sergei Bobrovsky: 39 saves in the shutout. There was no getting by this guy tonight. Credit to him for playing well.
- Boone Jenner: rebounded home the 3rd goal of the game, which pretty much sealed the Preds fate. Assisted on the Johansen goal. Nice game from him.
- James Neal: 4 shots and if not for a great save by Bob, he would have scored easily.
Tweets of the Night
@OnTheForecheck Hodgson has been an astonishing level of just okay.— Gumpy (@CamGumpy) November 21, 2015
Roll the video highlights...