Through two periods, this was an ugly game. The Predators were doing a whole lot of nothing and the Flyers had the lead in goals, shots, and scoring chances. It was about as bad as the current Nashville weather... maybe worse.
But the Preds found a way back in the game in the 3rd, with Craig Smith tying the game up thanks to an incredible pass by Mike Fisher. After essentially dominating the rest of the 3rd, the Predators fought through an otherwise disappointing regulation loss and took the game to overtime. Though the Preds had several chances to end the game in OT, the Flyers took the game in a shootout.
Against a goalie making his 7th career start and boasting a .889 save %, it's hard not to be disappointed. Seriously, only 22 shots against this guy? I suppose even a point helps in this furious race to the finish line. Still, this one leaves me sour.
- It looks like Santorelli-Jarnkrok-Cullen is the new 3rd line. Some out there want to see Stalberg in place of Cullen, and I tend to agree, but that's not how Lavy sees it apparently. Will Santorelli be enough to provide a shots/scoring boost there?
- Wayne Simmonds gets the first goal as he deflects a shot by Michael Del Zotto behind Rinne. He changed the degree of the shot drastically, knocking it down onto the ice, where it then bounced up and over Rinne's glove. Just an unfortunate bounce there, but a great play by Simmonds nonetheless. 1-0 Flyers early.
- Highlight of the game so far: practice footage of Ryan Ellis. The rest of the game has been unwatchable as the Flyers have a lead and the Preds only have 1 shot on goal.
- Until Wilson gets the 2nd shot and a GOAL! He beats Rob Zepp with a low % shot from the outside to tie the game. Yikes. I'm gonna go look at some Pekka Rinne highlights and count my blessings. Just a woeful save attempt by Zepp there. Preds finish the period with only 3 shots on net.
- During the intermission report Wilson said of the goal: "I was just looking to get a shot on goal... I don't know if it went in off a stick or what, but, uh, it went in." #Zepp
- Zac Rinaldo, who just tried to start a fight after a call on Chris VandeVelde for elbowing Josi, is not a hockey player. He isn't an enforcer or a bruiser...he's just a criminal wearing skates. Get him out of this league. We know Flyers fans want it, so get him out of here. I can't imagine anyone in this league enjoys him being a part of it.
- Meanwhile, Seth Jones spends way too much time in his own zone with the puck, turns it over, and Ryan White scores from the slot. 2-1 Flyers. Bad shift for Seth Jones there.
- A break down of the first two periods: Nashville with 7 shots, 8 scoring chances, and only 6 offensive zone starts. And still only down 1 goal.
- Ask for shots and goals and you get SHOTS and GOALS. Craig Smith sends home a filthy pass from Mike Fisher to tie the game in the opening minute of the 3rd period. Pay them both heaps of money, please.
- Pekka Rinne just stonewalled Matt Read, who brought the puck down out of the air in the blue ice and tried to stuff it home. Pekka and his left pad have been solid today.
- Much better in this 3rd period. Not only have they put the 2nd goal on the board, but they are generating more shots and there's more energy at both ends of the ice. 3RDATORS are back!
- What a double stop by Rinne on Claude Giroux. He's tall and he's good. Preds will take at least 1 point here and go the 2nd point in overtime.
- Highlight in OT: Preds had plenty of chances, but the biggest was by Mike Ribeiro. Ribs was all alone in front of Zepp with the puck. He tried to go high glove side on Zepp, but missed the net. The only advice one can give to a player when shooting on Rob Zepp is DON'T MISS THE NET.
- Shootout: Voracek-scores, Cullen-stopped (WHYYYYYY), Simmonds-scores, Smith-stopped. Soooo that's it. The Flyers send out Voracek and Simmonds, and we send out Cullen and Smith? Ok.
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Colin Wilson: inching closer to that 20 goal mark!
- Pekka Rinne: stopped 31 of 33 shots, and kept the team in it. Lot of "what ifs" in this game, but Pekka was not one of them.
- Craig Smith: fabulous finish on the game-tying goal. He also made a goal line save in the 2nd period on a rebound.
Tweet of the Day
Roll the video highlights...