The Nashville Predators scraped together a win against the Toronto Maple Leafs tonight, despite some surprising (and some not so surprising) struggles. Seth Jones, Shea Weber, Mike Fisher, and Colin Wilson scored for the Predators in the win, while Daniel Winnik, Nazem Kadri, and Mike Santorelli scored for the Maple Leafs in the loss.
It wasn't 9-2 this time. Hell, it almost wasn't even a win. But it counts for 2 points just the same as the 9-2 game did, so I'll take it.
- Cool moment during the anthems as most of Smashville sang along to "Oh Canada!" to thank Toronto fans for singing "The Star Spangled Banner" during the first meeting back in November. Nice.
- Shea Weber got the first penalty of the game, a 2 minute minor for Thinking Mean Thoughts.
- #PrinceFilip was just taken down ruthlessly by Cody Franson, apparently legally. Forsberg seems ok, but THIS.
- Seth Jones Shorty!! Great play at the blue line to pick off the entry pass and then take it the other way, out-skating everyone to get to Jonathan Bernier. Preds (and America) with a 1-0 lead.
- 108.5 (WEBR) THE WEBER, PLAYING ALL THE HITS, ALL THE TIME. 2-0 PREDS.
- The Preds started a tad slow but ended up absolutely dominating that 1st period. There could have been 2 or 3 more goals, easy.
- Carter Hutton's first big save of the night comes early in the 2nd, pouncing on a loose puck in the blue ice before David Booth can get to it. If that's the most difficult save he has all night, I'd be ok.
- Leafs get on the board on a nice shot by Winnik. He had a clean look at Hutton from the high slot area, getting the pass from former Pred Mike Santorelli. Just like that it's a 1 goal game.
- James Reimer is coming into the game for Bernier, who must have strained something after Cullen drove the net and drew a penalty. The Leafs undoubtedly won the 2nd Period, out-shooting the Preds 13-8 and getting a goal on the board. Could be an interesting 3rd as the Preds having taken their foot off the gas a bit.
- "If Carter Hutton was in divorce court, he could sue for non-support and get a fortune" -Crispy, of course
- More of the same in the 3rd. Leafs tie it up and then take the lead. First, Kadri scores on a big rebound by Hutton, and then Santorelli beats Hutton stick side less than a minute later. Preds find themselves in comeback mode all of a sudden. Lavy wants a timeout.
- Bizarre... Bernier is coming back in the game, seemingly healed from his earlier injury.
- FISHER TIES IT UP! Fisher with a lethal finish after a brilliant give-and-go with Wilson... new life, fellas, go make it happen.
- Though that goal was simply a great play by the Preds, the decision to put Bernier back in the game is a strange one.
- Colin Wilson FROSTY GOAL FOR THE LEAD! Wilson pounced on the puck while Neal and Fisher were attracting all the attention. He now has 16 goals on the season, tying a career high.
- Things are getting dicey and then HOLY COW CARTER HUTTON WITH THE FUNGO SAVE. Unbelievable save as it was bouncing behind him and he just swatted at it, saving the tying goal from going in.
- Preds hold on to win! 2 points!
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Mike Fisher: 3 points (1 goal, 2 assists) and 1 super handsome smile.
- Colin Wilson: GWG, also tied a career high for goals in a season.
- James Neal: 1 assist and EIGHT FREAKING SHOTS.
- Hacksaw Jim Duggan
Tweets Of The Night
Seth Jones scoring on a shorthanded breakaway is like getting an extra onion ring in your fries. A wonderful American gift. #Preds #TORvsNSH— Cutler Klein (@CutlerKlein) February 4, 2015
someone just tell toronto to leave winnik at the airport when they leave— Trevor Chort (@trevor_0) February 4, 2015
Boxscore - Game Summary - Event Summary - War-on-Ice - HockeyStats - Natural Stat Trick
Roll the video highlights...