The game started similar to many as of late; the Preds allowed a goal quickly, and struggled finding their game throughout the first period. Being outshot 9-3 by the Devils? That's not a recipe to inspire confidence. The attempted shots were close to even, but more of the Preds attempts were going wide of the net in the first than on net. This is all while Filip Forsberg started with Calle Jarnkrok and Mike Santorelli. Mike Ribeiro's line was wretched in the first, even with being on the ice supported by the Weber/Josi pairing. That's not cool. It's also not cool going down into the intermission 2-0 by goals from Eric Gelinas and Adam Larsson.
But, they responded. In the second period, they outshot New Jersey 16-6, and controlled the flow of the game. The only time the Devils looks threatening was after their own time out. The Preds were unfortunate to only get 1 that period, but that's Cory Schneider for you. He'll drag the Devils back to mediocrity by himself if he has to.
Eric Nystrom left the game with an LBI, did not return. We'll keep an eye on Milwaukee tomorrow. The roster can now be expanded, and even with Taylor Beck as a scratch tonight the Preds do like some insurance on the roster. Viktor Stalberg? Miikka Salomaki? I can dream.
So the Preds were going do that whole third period thing where they claw back and get a point or two? Nah. Cory Schneider had himself a game, and Devils locked it down in the third. Dumping it in the zone with an empty net is not a good plan, but that's what Nashville resorted to.
- Boy howdy that first period was awful. Like, I nearly stopped making dinner awful. The first goal was a great shot that was due to all the time and no coverage. The second goal was the requisite "Hutton Goal". If there was finally a time to pull the ripcord on a Peter Laviolette Rage Sermon™ this would've been it.
- Having Lou behind the bench is perfect. Is there's any man on earth to play the role of the guy running the Devils, he would look like Lou or Miroslav Satan and his evil eyebrows.
- You know who really seemed to have a good game? Gabriel Bourque. He fits right back in with Paul Gaustad's line and he did a very good job extending OZ possession time tonight. Even though he's not a huge guy, he knows how to win 1-on-1 battles. Hockey Judo.
- Also, Cody Franson is finally rounding into form after that 1st intermission. That's a welcome sight.
- The third period was somewhat in the middle between the maddening apathy of the first, and the fury of the second.
- Again, playing with an empty net and dumping the puck into the zone against a trapping team. Take a guess what happened.
- Go on, guess.
- Well, that's counted as an ENG. Close enough.
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Mike Fisher. 1 goal. 1 baby. He nearly had the now-famous David Legwand Hat Trick.
- The Devil's PA guy who sounds dead up like James Gandolfini.
- Cory Schneider. You tell me who else deserved it. I got nothing.
Roll the video highlights...