The Nashville Predators faced Jimmy Vesey at Bridgestone Arena Saturday night. The rest of the Rangers team showed up, too. New York came into the game with 43 points and second place in the Metropolitan division.
The Predators were without P.K. Subban due to an upper-body injury, and Rinne was given a much needed night of rest. Nashville gave up the opening goal once again as notorious Predators killer Rick Nash beat Saros on the rush. I’m no expert, but consistently forcing yourself to come from behind isn’t a recipe for success.
The fans, unsurprisingly, gave a rude welcome to Vesey every time he stepped on the edge, but the Predators didn’t look energized with only six shots on net after the first period.
But as they usually do, the Predators played much better in the second period. Mike Fisher tied the game with a simple shot, but a screen in front gave Lundqvist trouble. Nashville tripled their first period shot total, and Saros continued to play well.
The Predators came out in the third period with a noticeable sense of urgency. Lundqvist lived up to his future HOF status with two excellent gloves on Ryan Johansen and Viktor Arvidsson.
After a back and forth third, the game headed to overtime. That’s usually not a comforting feeling for the Predators as they were awful last year and 0-4 this season in OT.
As fate would have it, Vesey scored to open the scoring for his team in the shootout, and the Predators are still winless this season in extra time.
Nashville will face the red-hot Flyers in Philadelphia on Monday night
- Fans booed Vesey before touching the puck. Dedication.
- Saros looking sharp early.
- Lots of Rangers fans in the building.
- Preds not getting much of anything going 5v5 in the first.
- Nice screen in front on the Fisher goal.
- Colin Wilson ate his Wheaties this morning.
- Preds have played really good defense since the bad start. Not many chances for NYR.
- Nashville avoid disaster in the final minute of regulation.
- Preds’ strategy in 3v3 OT is somehow still not very good.
- Anyone surprised Vesey scored in the shootout?
OTF’s Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Juuse Saros- It’s hard to believe this guy is just 21-years-old
- Mike Fisher- Second straight game with a goal. The captain usually likes to score in streaks.
- Colin Wilson- When he’s on his game, he has the look of an elite power forward. Tonight was one of those times.
Tweets of the Night
Jimmy Vesey's first shift in Nashville - boos into a "sucks" chant. #NYR #NYRvsNSH pic.twitter.com/HQG0Wk1Et2— Thomas Willis (@TomAWillis) December 18, 2016
Juuse is his name— J.R. Lind (@jrlind) December 18, 2016
Saves are his game
Let's call dem boys
Let's win a game
@PredsNHL You NEED to see her reaction to her 1st hockey game ever. She loves her Preds! pic.twitter.com/DFj5HtxAPr— Douglas Michael Puch (@douglasmichaelp) December 18, 2016
CRANK DAT, SAROS BOY— J.R. Lind (@jrlind) December 18, 2016
December 18, 2016