The Predators completed the second of a back-to-back on the road tonight. Good thing for them is that tonight ended just as last night did, with a win and two points in the bag.
The Preds got on the board early with a nice goal by James Neal. It was scored on a beautifully executed 2-on-1. He wasn’t done there though. Neal added another goal just a minute and a half after his first to put Nashville up 2-0. The period slowed down, in terms of scoring, after Neal’s second goal. The Devils had some great chances, but weren’t able to convert as the Preds went into the first intermission with a 2-0 lead.
The second period began with some pretty decent pressure by the Nashville Predators. It paid off as Mattias Ekholm scored a goal from the point to put the Preds up 3-0 early in the second. More chances were traded by both teams, but the period ended with Nashville up by three going into the last frame.
The final period started off relatively slow from a scoring stand point. Filip Forsberg broke that slow start with a powerplay goal to give the Predators a four goal lead. Nashville didn’t stop there though as Ryan Johansen scored a shorthanded goal late in the third to really put this one out of reach for the Devils. The Devils didn’t go away quietly though as Sergey Kalinin scored to put the Devils on the board. That was all the Devils had in them as this one ended in a 5-1 Nashville victory.
- I like that the Predators are using Juuse Saros more and, more importantly, giving Pekka Rinne added rest. It will definitely be crucial for Rinne to be on his game late in the season.
- Viktor Arviddson is all that is man. Can we sign him to a 50 year deal?? No? Just checking.
- HJN already on hat trick alert, and we aren’t even halfway through the first period!
- Holy Saros! That kid has some moves.
- Great pressure paid off for the Preds early in the second. Ekholm with a sick shot for the goal.
- The Preds’ powerplay has played well so far on this road trip. They killed a crucial 5-on-3 last night in Philly, and killed a crucial penalty tonight late in the second period.
- Filip! Has he finally found his stride? Let’s hope so!
- The team looked like they got a shot of adrenaline after the Forsberg goal. Can they play like this for the rest of the season, all the time please?!
- This game man...Arvy with another great pass on a 2-on-1.
- Nooooo! The shutout is gone for little bear. It still doesn’t take away from the fact that he played one heck of a game tonight.
OTF’s Super Duper Stars of the Game
- James Neal: He scored two goals at the beginning of the game to really put the Preds in great position to win this game tonight.
- Viktor Arvidsson: We honestly can’t give this kid enough recognition. He added 3 assists tonight to his season point total.
- Juuse Saros: Can we really say much more about this kid? He was huge tonight in a big game for Nashville.
Tweets of the Night
I swoon for you, Arvy— J.R. Lind (@jrlind) December 21, 2016