Another overtime game, another 3-on-3 loss.
After another great start where the Predators came out shooting, Nashville ends up with only 1 point in losing 2-1 to the Kings in overtime. The Kings were trying to help the Preds out, giving up numerous penalties and really not threatening the game until late in the 3rd. The Predators really did a good job controlling the Kings speed and bothering Jonathan Quick with tough shots from all angles. Quick and Pekka Rinne both performed well in what was a very physical hockey game.
Ryan Ellis scored the only goal for the Predators. Jake Muzzin scored in regulation for the Kings and Tanner Pearson put home the game-winner in overtime.
Imma throw somethin'.
- The Kings appear to have lost their minds. Twice now they've received roughing minor penalties in which it appeared they were trying to start fights with Preds players, who did not reciprocate. Andy Andreoff was apparently trying to pry Ryan Johansen's teeth from his mouth without his consent. The Preds are doing a great job of allowing the Kings to "do what they do," letting them bee-line for the penalty box at will.
- The Preds are unable to capitalize on their early power-play chances and then the Kings tally for the first score. Jake Muzzin sends one easily by Rinne from the blue-line. Didn't look like it deflected off anyone either.
- Then the Preds answer! A power play goal gets the home team on board. The goal follows a series of quick passing and smart offensive plays by the Preds power-play unit, with all five players getting in on the action. Ryan Ellis cleans up the garbage in front of Quick and ties the game with just under 30 seconds left in the period.
- Tons of great chances for the Preds in the 2nd. Weber hit the post on the power-play. Johansen nearly connected with Ellis on a cross-ice pass that would have certainly been a goal. Arvidsson broke in, got around the defense and nearly deked across the goal and scored, but he lost the puck. Overall, the Preds are playing well, just need to start putting these pucks in the net.
- Barret Jackman gets a tough hit into the boards and goes down in a heap. Really didn't look good, but he eventually got up and skated off on his own power. Don't want to speculate on the nature of the injury, but I doubt he returns to the game. We will keep you posted.
- Kings coming out flying in the 3rd period. And the Preds are starting to make mistakes. Turnovers in the defensive zone are allowing some extended offensive zone time for the Kings. Forsberg commits a penalty out of frustration after missing a scoring chance. The momentum is turning for sure. The loss of Jackman seems to have thrown the Preds off a bit.
- Craig Smith with a golden opportunity to give the Preds the lead after Forsberg's shot rebounded high. Smith had all kinds of net to shoot at, but it went high. At least he didn't slam his stick to the ice and draw an unsportsmanlike penalty.
- Rinne with a gigantic save on Jeff Carter after two Preds collided and turned the puck over. Rinne came out of the goal crease to cut down on the angle and swallowed up Carter's shot. Great, great stop. Both goalies have been solid in this game.
- It will be interesting to see how the defensive pairings are switched around if Jackman misses any time. Josi has been with Bitteto since Jackman went down, though that seems more like an emergency move. Could this force Poile's hand to go after a veteran defenseman?
- A 3-on-3 loss sounds about right. Pearson wins it.
- The only option for 3-on-3 overtime at this point:
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Ryan Ellis: #HumanRocketship cleans up the garbage to tie the game late in the 1st. Ellis and the rest of the D will have to step up if Jackman misses time.
- Filip Forsberg: 7 shots on goal. Couldn't get a goal to keep his hot streak going, but he came close several times.
- Pekka Rinne: The overtime goal wasn't a great one to give up, but he kept the Preds from coming away with 0 points probably. Huge saves late in the 3rd.
Tweets of the Night
Just you wait, the Preds training staff are going to melt some Provel into Jackman’s bones, and he’ll be as good as new— Link (@3DLink) February 21, 2016
"Sent Sky High" The Craig Smith story. #preds— Frank The Turtle (@LavysTurtle) February 21, 2016
Maybe Smith should stop trying to use the Force and actually utilize his targeting computer from now on.— On The Forecheck (@OnTheForecheck) February 21, 2016
Roll the video highlights...