The Nashville Predators beat the Chicago Blackhawks 3-1 tonight to secure two huge points in the standings. In a game that the Blackhawks largely dominated in many aspects, the Preds fought back with some incredible goaltending and opportunistic scoring.
Pekka Rinne had his work cut out for him. The Blackhawks were flying all around the ice tonight, generating tons of chances in the Predators zone. It was a little ridiculous. It felt like the Hawks were on permanent power-play for most of the game. After Brent Seabrook scored for the Hawks to go up 1-0, Viktor Arvidsson squeezed a puck by Corey Crawford to tie it up. After about 40 minutes of the Hawks generating shot after shot, Mike Fisher found Calle Jarnkrok who ripped the go ahead goal by Crawford to go up 2-1. Miikka Salomaki would add the empty netter and the Preds would come away winners.
The story of the game was Pekka Rinne, who had 38 saves in net. He was absolutely fantastic. These two points are almost entirely because of his play.
- Chris Mason needs to be on TV. Like, permanently. Look, I really don't have a problem with Stu or Willy, though a lot of people do. But Mason is just really, really good at what he does with Pete on the radio side. He deserves the recognition and I think he would be a great fit with whoever he is paired with.
- Pekka = locked in. Moving well, looks comfortable.
- Very even game through 20 minutes. Blackhawks own a 13-9 shot advantage, but the scoring chances are pretty even: Blackhawks 9, Predators 8. The Preds had 2 high-danger scoring chances, the Blackhawks had 1. Both teams' penalty-kill looked strong against two good power-play units. Both goaltenders playing well. Great game so far.
- Hawks get on the board first. Brent Seabrook, all alone at the top of the circle. Three skaters were covering two guys in the corner, allowing Seabrook to be wide open. Watch the play and you'll see the defensive awareness of one Mike Ribeiro.
- Man, how about that Viktor Arvidsson? Fantastic play to tie the game, just squeezing it by Crawford. And boy did the Preds need that. New life, boys, new life.
- PREACH IT, AV
- Congrats to Matt Ellis on his first NHL game tonight. Solid young guy, Matt.
- Rinne, holy mother. He robs Andrew Shaw of a breakaway goal to keep this game scoreless going into the 3rd. If the Preds come away with points tonight, Rinne will be the reason.
- The Hawks are doing all of the hockeying in this 3rd period. The Preds can barely manage to get out of their zone, let alone generate scoring chances. Rinne is saving the bacon left and right.
- Oh my god. Jarnkrok ripped one. What a pass from Fisher. HUGE.
- Salo empy netter. Game sealed.
- "Blackhawks upset by an AHL team, guys, what an upset" -these stupid NBC announcers, probably
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Pekka Rinne: Huge, huge, huge game from him. What is that, like 4 great performances in a row? Awesome.
- Calle Jarnkrok: probably his biggest moment of the season (career?). Excellent rip.
- Viktor Arvidsson: this duuuuuuude. So much fun to watch. Slick hands to get that puck up and over Crawford.
Tweets of the Night
It's like if you let Pekka rest every once in a while he's really good.— Eric Shuff (@ericshuff) February 26, 2016
Going to start a GoFundMe campaign to buy Rinne the dinner he deserves. The roster can’t afford it.— On The Forecheck (@OnTheForecheck) February 26, 2016
Roll the video highlights...