The Capitals kicked off the scoring in the first period with a goal from Jason Chimera. That was the only goal of the first period. Tom Wilson scored in the second to give the Capitals a 2-0 lead at that point of the game. Filip Forsberg brought the Predators within a goal with a wrister up top to beat Holtby.
Justin Williams scored in the third to put the Capitals up by two goals. Then Marcus Johansson scored to put up a three goal lead for Washington. Roman Josi brought the game back within two goals halfway through the third. Shortly after, Forsberg put in his second of the night to bring it back within one. Alex Ovechkin put in the empty net to put it out of reach.
In the end, Washington held on to win this one.
- Going into the game tonight, I was extremely worried. Washington is really, really good. I figured we would be in for an onslaught at the beginning of the game, but surprisingly, the Preds did a good job of not letting the Caps get anything going for the first half of the first period. If it wasn't for Braden Holtby being so damn good, Nashville could have had a lead.
- Please ignore the previous comment above. Clearly I jinxed the team, because as soon as I ended the last sentence, the Capitals scored. Yeah, I will take responsibility for that one guys.
- For the record, I can't remember the last time I have seen so many penalties in one period of a game. My
GCLNHL.tv was lagging a lot tonight so I really couldn't tell if it was sloppy play or bad officiating that caused all the penalties.
- Holy crap, Shea Weber's shot that went off the post was a zinger. Oh so close....
- I gotta say, I don't think either of the Caps first two goals were Rinne's fault. Bad turnovers and just great passing and shot placement. I don't fault Peks for those.
- I thought Forsberg was having a rough game. It looked like one of those games where he wasn't going to be able to get anything going. Then he goes a scores a goal and shuts me up. Maybe I should just let the play go on for a few minutes longer before I say anything.
- Man, that Williams goal was just deflating. It took the air out of the building.
- This game got out of hand quick in the third period. From being within a goal to being down three in a blink of an eye. Rough night all around.
- Josi was trying to will this team back tonight. Sometimes in games like this, you need bounces and goals like the one Josi scored in the third period.
- Prince Filip at it again!!!!
- Well, that's about how I figured it would end.
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Filip Forsberg: He had two goals in this one.
- Mattias Ekholm: Put up two assists tonight and, I though, played relatively well.
- Ryan Johansen: He got another assist in this one. He just continues to be the real deal.
Tweets Of The Night
Shea Weber killed a goalpost once.— Adam Vingan (@AdamVingan) February 10, 2016
@diamondhockey tweet of the night— scott (@klopfuh) February 10, 2016
Roll the video highlights...