The Predators beat the Lightning 6-1 in a nice bounce back performance following Tuesday’s disappointing OT loss.
The Preds got on the board first with a power play goal by Mike Fisher. The first period special teams theme would continue as the Lightning had a number of power play chances. Somehow they did not convert and the 1st period would end with a 1-0 Preds lead.
Filip Forsberg continued his hot streak, scoring a laser goal from an impossible angle to give the Preds a 2-0 lead in the 2nd. The Lightning would answer when Tyler Johnson scored on the power play to make it 2-1. The Preds would answer back on a Colton Sissons slapper from the right circle to make it 3-1. Then Ryan Ellis made it 4-1, though it took two reviews to make the right call. At one point the Preds had four goals on eight shots. They would end the 2nd period up 4-1.
In the 3rd period, the Preds maintained solid control of the puck and Pekka Rinne continued to stop the pucks. It’s really that simple. With a three goal lead, the Preds didn’t really allow the Lightning any room to work while also holding their own in the offensive end. Sissons would get his second of the game on an empty netter with about five minutes left in the game, and then complete the hat-trick a few minutes later. The Preds finished with six goals on 19 shots. Pretty amazing.
A welcomed result for sure, considering that the Lightning were getting most of the opportunities. Rinne was great, the forwards got the job done in offensive end, and the defense was there when it counted.
On to the Panthers tomorrow night!
- Mike Fisher!! Holy cow, what a pass from Joey. The Preds get on the board first with a nice power play goal.
- What’s with this “scoring the first goal of the game” thing?
- Austin Watson absolutely handled J.T. Brown in that fight. AND draws an extra roughing call. Atta boy Watty!
- Weird first period from the Preds. TB had all the shot attempts (12-1 at even strength) but Preds lead it 1-0. Too often, the Preds have been on the other end of that battle.
- FILIP. FORSBERG. This guy is so hot right now.
- I mean, how did he see that shot? Insane.
- What in the world did Colton Sissons just do?? What a slapper! Love it.
- Rinne is having a great game so far. Continuing the trend from Tuesday.
- This is so odd to see the Preds leading a game like this. CORSI BE DAMNED.
- So this was fun. First, Ryan Ellis blisters one by Vasilevskiy. GOAL. Then, the refs say Viktor Arvidsson interfered with the goalie. NO GOAL. But Arvy doesn’t play that game. He clearly didn’t. They review it and the refs get the call right. GOAL. Then the Lightning challenge the play for offside. They think Jarnkrok entered the zone early. The refs check and he didn’t. GOAL.
- 4 goals on 8 shots, what is happening
- Austin Watson having a great game. (Checks advanced stats) Uhh, maybe not.
- With 5 minutes left in the game, the Lightning are gonna pull their goalie and replace him with... no one? They are pulling their goalie in a 4-1 game with 5 minutes left?
- And then Sissons scores on the empty net. Odd call there.
- PREDS WIN!
OTF’s Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Pekka Rinne: 27 saves and another solid performance. Great to see!
- Colton Sissons: as quiet a hat-trick as you will see, but a hat-trick nonetheless. Congrats!
- Mike Fisher: a goal and an assist. Fish has 22 points on the year. Solid.
Tweets of the Night
Who wore it better Garo Yepremian or Tony Bitetto? pic.twitter.com/xWMRTUFk7H— Jim Diamond (@diamondhockey) January 6, 2017
In other news, the Predators are not playing against Carey Price tonight.— Predlines.com (@PredlinesNSH) January 6, 2017
Wendys probably turned their Frosty machines on and off about 10 times in the last minute. #Preds #NSHvsTBL— Thomas Willis (@TomAWillis) January 6, 2017