The Predators took an early lead thanks to a Scott Hartnell tip-in that came off of a wrist shot by Roman Josi 6:26 into the game. After taking a pass from Pontus Aberg, Josi carved up the Ducks as he skated through the neutral zone, before firing the blue line wrister that Hartnell tipped in.
The captain himself picked up his second point of the night with under a minute remaining in the first period, this time scoring the goal. The Predators, especially Freddy Gaudreau, fought hard on the boards to keep possession, and when the pass finally found its way to Josi, he was able to do a bit more carving before firing a shot over the shoulder of John Gibson.
The Predators extended their lead in the second period, as Matt Irwin took a pass from Yannick Weber and fired a slap shot into the back of the net, giving the Preds a 3-0 lead with 16:55 remaining in the 2nd period. Gaudreau also picked up his second assist of the night on that goal. A minute later, however, Pekka Rinne’s birthday shutout was spoiled, as Antoine Vermette buried a wrister to put the Ducks on the board. Viktor Arvidsson made the lead three again with 2:40 remaining in the 2nd, but Hampus Lindholm put a slap shot past Rinne with 15 seconds remaining in the period to make the score 4-2 as the teams headed to the locker rooms.
Jakob Silfverberg brought the Ducks within one early in the third, but that was as close as they would get. After about 13 minutes of stressful, scoreless play, P.K. Subban fired a shot at the empty net with 12 seconds remaining to give the Predators a 5-3 lead, which is where the score would stay.
- Verrrry early PP for the Preds here
- Great moves there by Josi, great shot as well. Nice tip-in by Hartnell
- Penalty = kilt
- Captain. Again.
- Wow. This game is actually going quite well
- Roman Josi proving he actually is human as he heads to the box.
- Penalty = kilt x2
- ARVY WITH THE PP GOALL
- Penalty = kilt x3
- My heart can’t take 13 minutes of this
- That goal didn’t really do much for the outcome of the game, but it was still an amazing shot by Subban
- HANDS GO UP
OTF’s Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Roman Josi - 2 points for the captain
- Freddy Gaudreau - 2 assists tonight, and another good game from Freddy Hockey
- Pekka Rinne - Happy Birthday to our netminder