The Western Conference leading Nashville Predators were looking to continue their winning ways in Alberta. Facing off against the Johnny Gaudreau led Calgary Flames, the Preds’ won the final game of the road trip, mostly on the back of Pekka Rinne’s shutout.
The first period started ice cold for both teams, as only one shot was tallied for each team through the first six minutes of play. Both teams had man advantages, and the offenses eventually found their footing, but neither team could light the lamp.
The second period was rather similar to the first through ten minutes: no goals for either team. However, Ryan Johansen finally put one in the back of the net with 8 minutes left. Shortly after that, the Predators were suddenly faced with the task of killing off a 5-on-3 penalty kill. A few crazy saves and blocked shots later, the Preds’ killed it off and kept their shutout alive. Right at the end of the period, the Turris line delivered once again, putting an exclamation point on a successful second period for Nashville. It was Kevin Fiala who made it 2-0 Preds.
The third period was servicable for Nashville, as they put decent pressure on Calgary and kept the puck out of their own net.
Despite a few scares and multiple penalty kills, Pekka Rinne stood tall and delivered a shut out to sweep the road trip in Western Canada. Prepare yourself Nashville, the Preds are coming home, and they’re coming home on fire.
- Scary hit on Emelin in the 1st period. Thankfully he got up, and he was only in the locker room for a brief moment.
- PP for the Preds at the perfect time; they can’t buy a shot out there.
- No dice on the man advantage. Not looking good.
- Penalty kill late in the 1st.
- Penalty over, end of the period. Preds aren’t giving us many reasons to stay up so far.
- Early PK for the Flames in the second.
- Penalty hath been slain.
- Power play for the Preds. A goal would be greeeeat.
- No goal on the Power play. Still scorless.
- Watty drops the gloves, results in a 4-on-4.
- EVERYONE WAKE UP SOMEONE SCORED.
- 5-on-3. Ugh.
- 5-on-3 killed, that was huge.
- Big save by Pekka, this game is really coming to life.
- FIALA! Turris continues to make the players around him better, and I love every bit of it.
- End of the second, 2-0 good guys.
- Power play in the 3rd for the Preds. Lets wrap this one up like an early Christmas present.
- We did not wrap this one up like an early Christmas present.
- That’ll do it. Big win.
OTF’s Super Duper Stars of the Game
1. Pekka Rinne- Shutout to close the road trip. What more can you ask for?
2. Ryan Johansen- Game winning goal.
3. Viktor Arvidsson- Assist on the game winner, plus notching his 100th NHL point!
Tweets of the Night
The Flames do an "SNL" introduction parody for their Saturday evening games. It's solid. The Predators were the "special guests."— Adam Vingan (@AdamVingan) December 17, 2017