The Predators came back from a two goal deficit twice tonight as they defeated the Buffalo Sabres 5-4 in overtime. Filip Forsberg, the best player in the NHL right now, scored two goals to lead the Predators to an exciting road win.
Things got off to a rocky start, but what else is new? The Sabres scored with about 5 minutes to go in the 1st period when Brian Gionta batted a puck out of mid-air that found the back of the net. Then Kyle Okposo scored a few moments later to make it 2-0. It was looking pretty bleak, but then Mike Fisher took advantage of an odd play by Robin Lehner and got the Preds on the board. It was 2-1 after 20 minutes.
As usual, the Preds kicked things into gear in the 2nd period. After Viktor Arvidsson drew a penalty, Colin Wilson found himself wide open in front of the net and tied the game 2-2. The Preds owned the next few minutes, but unfortunately, the Sabres took the lead back on a goal by Evander Kane, after the Preds almost scored at the other end. A power play chance came and went and the Preds would go into the 3rd period down a goal.
And then things got real crazy.
Jake McCabe put the Sabres up 4-2 less than a minute into the 3rd period. It looked like it wouldn’t be the Preds’ night. But then Ryan Johansen scored his 10th of the year to cut the score to 4-3. It looked like the Preds would have to pull Rinne for the extra attacker, but then Filip Forsberg DID THAT THING HE DOES and scored the game tying goal.
Then, even though the Preds had to kill off an OT penalty, Forsberg DID THAT THING HE DOES AGAIN and scored the game winner. It was absolutely insane. This man is simply on fire.
The Preds get a huge two points and now head to Montreal to take on the Canadiens on Thursday.
- I love early weekday starts. Earlier starts mean earlier bedtimes. Yay sleep!
- Ooof, the Preds look a bit slow. Though they’ve managed some decent chances, it’s only a matter of time before the Sabres score.
- Annnd then they do. Great play by Gionta.
- Oy. Now Okposo. Can’t let this one get away from you early.
- Nice! A great pass from Austin Watson leads Mike Fisher just enough to make Lehner come out. Lehner committed pretty hard to the play, but can’t get the puck and Fisher smacks it in. That’s a big goal to get at the end of the 1st.
- 2-1 after a period like that? Ok.
- They went 9 minutes without a shot. Das bad.
- COLIN! WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT FACE
- Things are starting to look bet—- oh wait, no they’re not. Kane scores to make it 3-2 Sabres.
- Leading in high danger chances 10-5, the Preds need to make these chances count.
- McCabe scores to make it 4-2. Not looking like the Preds night, tonight.
- If there’s any chance of the Preds coming back in this one, it will have to be because Buffalo is Buffalo.
- RYAN JOHANSEN. This guy can do it all. What a shot.
- Man, some HUGE chances to tie this game. Fisher, Fiala, Ekholm...
- What an insane game. I mean, how did that just happen?
Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Filip Forsberg: HUGE game. Assisted Joey’s goal, scored to tie the game, then scored to win the game. Incredible.
- Colin Wilson: His early goal got the Preds on the board. He also hit a post. He looked great tonight and should have had a couple of goals.
- Ryan Johansen: Solid goal to get the Preds within one. Attaboy Joey.
Tweets of the Night
When do Neal and Kane go back in the locker rooms and swap jersey for a mid-game trade tonight?— Eric Shuff (@ericshuff) February 28, 2017
"FIRST DOWWWWWWWNNN SABRES” - This Guy pic.twitter.com/5fGZD5xVRm— Mark Harris (@MCHisTweeting) March 1, 2017