Before the game, the team announced they have acquired former Predator Vernon Fiddler from the New Jersey Devils for a 2017 fourth round pick.
Both teams come out with their NOS buttons pushed and there is speed to burn on both ends of the ice. Some pretty good saves by both Pekka Rinne and Petr Mrazek and this looks like it’s shaping up to be a defensive battle. Mike Green puts Detroit up 1-0 on a funky play; bodies, sticks, and puck were everywhere.
The Preds come out flat in the second period. They lost the intensity and fight that they displayed in the first. Nashville is putting shots up but Mrazek has looked All-Star caliber tonight stopping all 25 shots thus far.
Preds were sleepwalking through the third period. They had so many chances but could not bury any of them. Credit Petr Mrazek, he played lights out tonight.
- Josi is back, and the handsome/60 just went through the roof for Nashville
- This game is hard to follow, both teams are flying up and down the ice
- Viktor Arvidsson just almost roofed one and he missed a goal by what i have to assume was merely centimeters
- Nashville gives up the first goal of the game and are we really surprised anymore?
- Craig Smith just got asked to prom on the jumbotron, so he’s got that going for him
- Rinne needs to stay in the goal because every time he leaves the puck seems to find it’s way there like Cody McCleod’s fists to an opposing skater’s head
- Speaking of Cody, he has not punched anyone yet. Is he sick?
- The Preds are sleepwalking through this third period
- Excellent play by Subban to get back on that breakaway and stop a goal there
- Mrazek is on fire. You can’t really say anything at this point, he is just having one of those types of games
OTF’s Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Pekka Rinne - he saved 18 of 19 and was the reason the Preds were even in this game
- Matt Irwin - he keeps making great play after great play. He has been the Preds best defenseman this season - no question
- Harry Zolnierczyk - okay so we were struggling to find another star and Zolnierczyk played with intensity and a chip on his shoulder so he wins.
Tweets of the Night
The Predators aren't playing with the same piss and vinegar in this period.— Adam Vingan (@AdamVingan) February 5, 2017