The Predators fell to the New York Rangers tonight 4-3, despite building an early 2-0 lead. Inconsistency continues to be a problem for this team; they really did look pretty good for much of this game, they just couldn’t make up for some bad defensive mistakes. A poor second half of the 2nd period spelled their doom.
The Rangers were buzzing early in this one and had several great chances early. Despite this, the Preds got on the board first after Cody McLeod slammed home a rebound in front of Henrik Lundqvist. The first period would end 1-0, but not before several big saves from Juuse Saros.
The 2nd period was an odd one. The Preds continued their solid play when Calle Jarnkrok scored a power play goal from the slot to make it 2-0. Things were looking good, but the Rangers didn’t back down. Goals by Michael Grabner and J.T. Miller made it a tie game later in the period and the score would remain 2-2 going into the 3rd period.
In the 3rd, the Preds were able to muster some nice chances on Lundqvist. Viktor Arvidsson, James Neal, and Ryan Johansen all had nice scoring chances in the first few minutes of the final frame, but couldn’t score. Chris Kreider did. His redirect on a nice pass from Zuccarello beat Saros and the Rangers led it 3-2. Then Ryan McDonagh added to the Rangers’ lead with a late goal to make it 4-2.
Despite a late charge by the Preds — and a late power play goal by Roman Josi — the Preds eventually lose this one 4-3 after holding a two goal lead early.
Road wins are tough to come by in this league, but you’d like to hang on to win ones like that.
- Ryan Ellis just went down hard on the boards, tied up with Grabner. Or held, probably. It looked pretty bad, but he appears to be ok.
- The defense is looking rough so far, but somehow bailing itself out. Josi with a huge deflection that would have stopped a sure goal.
- So far it appears, like most of the season so far, the Preds offense will have to rely on Viktor Arvidsson to get something going.
- Cody McLeod!! How about that. Dude has his third goal as a Pred which gives him four on the season.
- All you have to do is park your self in front of a goalie and you get goals like that.
- The Preds are still giving up some chances to the Rangers, but they have a lot of speed. It happens.
- JARNKROK. SCORED. AND. SHOWED. EMOTION.
- Man, what a rip from Jarny.
- Something tells me two goals won’t be enough. I don’t think I’m wrong.
- Right on cue: Grabner scores on Saros after an Irwin turnover. Yep.
- Josi to the box on a call where I guess there wasn’t embellishment (there was).
- And now J.T. Miller scores. After another turnover. Ohhhh yeah, two goals isn’t going to be close to enough in this one.
- I’ve said this before, but I think the Preds revert to their old “Pekka’s got it” mentality even with Juuse in the net. Almost like they trust him too much. It says a lot about the guy, but you just can’t turn the puck over like they do and expect him to save everything.
- Early in the 3rd, it looks like the Preds have their legs back.
- Huge chances from Joey and Neal there. Need to put one of those home.
- ... because of that right there. Kreider deflects it in and the Preds are down a goal.
- Less than 15 minutes to go, Preds need a goal.
- No, not the Rangers. They don’t need a goal. (they get one anyway)
- Ok. Josi just scored. Could be a cool finish here??
OTF’s Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Calle Jarnkrok: continues that hot streak by putting home a nice power play goal
- P.K. Subban: two assists and four shots on goal; led team in TOI with 24:40
- Cody McLeod: he did his job, I suppose. Got a goal in front of the net and didn’t mess up anything too terribly.