Fresh off a big win against the division-rival Winnipeg Jets, the Nashville Predators finished their season series with the New York Islanders just 5 games into the season. The JOFA line lit up the score sheet, and Juuse Saros secured a win for the Preds at home, 5-2.
For a majority of it, the first period was goalless. The Predators dominated the shot count, but Robin Lehner stood tall and kept the score sheet clean. However, that all changed in the last five minutes. Goals from Calle Järnkrok, Filip Forsberg, and Viktor Arvidsson left the Islanders shell-shocked and down by three after 20 minutes of hockey.
The second period sent the Predators into turtle mode, as they sleep walked their way through two Islander goals, credited to Brock Nelson and Andrew Ladd. If not for Juuse Saros, the scoreline could’ve easily turned into a New York lead. However, Saros held down the fort and sustained Nashville’s one goal advantage. A solid penalty kill for the Predators capped the period, and the home team entered the third ahead 3-2.
The Predators’ third period started off hot. They were given their first man advantage of the night, and Kyle Turris found the back of the net to give Nashville their first power play goal of the season. The rest of the period went scoreless up until the final minute of the game, when Filip Forsberg notched his second goal of the night on an empty net. That wrapped this one up for Nashville, and the Preds emerged with two points and a sweep of the Islanders.
- Saturday night hockey in Bridgestone. Let’s go.
- Back and forth games like this one are not good for my health.
- Toothless Arvy is exactly what this team was missing.
- A lot of good chances early on, just can’t get past Lehner.
- GOAL NUMBER 1 FOR CALLE! Nice play by Bonino to set up Jarnkrok for an open net goal, 1-0 Preds.
- ANOTHER ONE. Prince Filip lights the lamp before you can sit down from Calle’s goal. 2-0.
- Juuse hasn’t fallen asleep! Big glove save.
- ANOTHER JOFA GOAL! Johansen sets up toothless Arvidthon for the 3rd goal of the night right before the end of the period.
- Five minutes into the second, and it’s been more of the same. Saros hasn’t been challenged much, but he’s shut down everything thrown at him.
- Islanders break through, 3-1.
- Juuse has looked good since the goal, multiple big saves to keep the two goal lead.
- Dumb mistake by the Preds leads to an Andrew Ladd goal. One goal game.
- First penalty of the game goes against Fil.
- Nice kill, and that will do it for the second. Still on top.
- Third period begins, let’s finish ’em out.
- Another big save from Saros, no idea how that didn’t go in.
- Power play for the Predators. I am less than optimistic.
- WE HAVE A POWER PLAY GOAL I REPEAT WE HAVE A POWER PLAY GOAL. KYLE TURRIS. LET’S GO.
- Just under 10 minutes left. One more goal, and we can put a bow on this one.
- A power play to finish this game out? I’m about it.
- Empty netter for Filip Forsberg? Empty netter for Filip Forsberg.
OTF’s Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Viktor Arvidsson: Scored the game winner tonight, and did so without some teeth.
- Filip Forsberg: Two goals on the night, one empty netter and one dazzler.
- Juuse Saros: Notched another win on the season, and held the team in the game when they had no business being in it.
Tweets of the Night
The Ducks just got outshot 30-3 in a period. I don’t have anything else to add at this moment.— Dimitri Filipovic (@DimFilipovic) October 14, 2018