Monday night the Predators fell to the Anaheim Ducks in a shootout 2-1. Despite Pekka Rinne standing on his head all night, the offense and power play could not help him out, while the Ducks gifted penalty after penalty to the Predators.
The Predators seemed to have a hard time getting going, relying on a lot of individual efforts to move the puck forward instead of team play. Heavy hits and dirty play behind the referee’s back was prevalent too, as Ryan Kesler continued to be the perpetual pest in the Predators’ sides.
In the second period the game stayed the same, but with bigger hits. Kevin Fiala was demolished in open ice, leading Zac Rinaldo to take down Josh Manson, who was sort of the perpetrator. Fiala returned to the game, so he shouldn’t have a concussion.
The Predators began the third period with a goal from Fiala, as each member of the FiTS line contributed on the goal. Pekka Rinne stood on his head as time expired, leading the game into overtime where the Predators failed to convert on a 4v3 power play.
Eventually, the Predators would fall in a shootout. A road point on this road trip is welcome, but odds are this game against the Ducks meant more to the Predators than a simple point. Unfortunately, they watch their adversaries take the win.
- Ryan Kesler with a chance just 0:13 into this game.
- Matt Irwin has carried the puck a lot better these last few games.
- Powerplay! Wait...
- No goals to show, but Kesler cross-checked Craig Smith twice right off their draw.
- Colton Sissons also has no lost love for Kesler.
- Another powerplay with nothing to show.
- Second period!
- Another powerplay?
- Another disappointment.
- Yannick Weber goes down the tunnel for further inspection.
- Manson levels Kevin Fiala on open ice. Hope Fiala is okay.
- Rinaldo answers the call and immediately fights Manson.
- Rinaldo destroyed Manson.
- Ugh. Ducks strike first. 1-0.
- End of 2.
- PREDS SCORE! FIALA!
- The FiTS line puts it together and Fiala is able to finally cash in.
- Ryan Hartman has looked great tonight, he’s been buzzing up and down the ice.
- Cam Fowler takes the Werenski Special, putting his stick out to redirect a slap shot and taking it right in his face.
- Mouth, more specifically.
- Blood on the ice, Fowler off the ice.
- Rinne is under siege here with not much time left. Ducks laying it on with 1:30 left.
- Off to overtime!
- Silvferberg gets a hooking penalty! 4v3 power play for the Preds!
- AND THEY’RE TRYING THE SAME ONE-TIMER PLAYS WITH JOSI AND ELLIS??? UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
- How hard is it to look cross ice?????
- Holy cow Rinne. He makes some miraculous saves as time expires.
- OMG PONTUS ÅBERG IS UP FIRST.
- Familiarity comes through and Åberg puts it five hole through Rinne.
- Kyle Turris up to bat!
- Oooh! A nifty lollygag to the right side of the ice and Turris opens up Gibson’s entire left side! Even score.
- RINNE STONES ANDREJ KASE COLD.
- Filip Forsberg up now!
- Off the post and out. Still 1-1 in the shootout.
- RINNE STOPS GETZLAF.
- It all comes down to...Ryan Ellis?
- He misses. Why wasn’t Joey or Fiala used there?
- Richard Rakell scores.
- Kevin Fiala up with the game on the line.
- Stopped by Gibson, Ducks take the two points.
Tweets of the Night
Lower bowl is half empty, Ducks fans must be battling that 10:00pm rush hour traffic!— Bobby Misey (@Bmisey) November 13, 2018
You can mute the TV and play Yakety Sax on repeat during power plays and it's far more entertaining— Kristopher Martel (@kmartel_sports) November 13, 2018
If you're getting outshot 27-16 at 5v5 by the Anaheim Ducks, you should probably just go to bed.— Kate (@statswithkate) November 13, 2018
Also, this heat map is…something. It's really something. pic.twitter.com/w7xZeakh8k
Three Stars of the Game:
- Pekka Rinne: what an unbelievable performance. He absolutely owns the Ducks. Amazing.
- Kevin Fiala: please don’t be concussed.
- John Gibson. He’s pretty darn good at hockey.