Ryan Hartman opened up the scoring for Nashville with a wicked wrist shot around a Vancouver defender. With his teammates changing behind him, Hartman carried the puck into the Canucks’ zone and zipped a puck past Anders Nilsson for his ninth goal of the season.
Nick Bonino put Nashville up by two with 11:20 remaining in the first period on a gorgeous feed from Colton Sissons. Vancouver was awarded the first power play of the evening, and with around 37 seconds remaining in the penalty, Pekka Rinne was whistled for a trip. The Predators were able to kill the 5-on-3 Canuck power play and the subsequent 5-on-4 time.
Antoine Roussel was called for a trip and Nashville put their power play to work for the first time. However, Markus Granlund and Jay Beagle managed to combine for a shorthanded goal on a stolen pass.
Vancouver went back on the power play at 4:23 of the second period, but Nashville was able to kill the penalty. The Predators really turned on the heat and were finally rewarded on a tip-in from Calle Jarnkrok off a Kyle Turris shot. Unfortunately for the Canucks, the Predators continued to pressure Nilsson and didn’t allow much action in front of Rinne.
The Predators opened up the third period with an incredible breakout from Hartman, Roman Josi, and Kevin Fiala. It looked like Fiala had tapped home Nashville’s fourth goal of the night, but the play was ruled offside.
Nashville had another chance on the power play with around 17:00 remaining in the third period. It was not particularly noteworthy. As the third period ticked on, Nashville and Vancouver traded zone time; the Predators were aided by the glove of Rinne.
Roman Josi was whistled for cross-checking on Bo Horvat and the Predators returned to the penalty kill. Brock Boeser slammed a slap shot past Rinne to bring Vancouver within one with 4:05 remaining in the third. Less than a minute later, Dan Hamhuis took a seat in the box for a delay of game.
Ryan Ellis was able to draw a penalty on a shorthanded scoring chance. Nashville played a nice game of keep-away on the delayed penalty before Alexander Edler went to the box. Nilsson was quickly called to the bench to give Vancouver an extra man with less than two minutes remaining. Bo Horvat put in the tying goal with under a minute left in regulation.
In a relatively average overtime sequence, Nick Bonino placed a perfect puck on Colton Sissons’ tape. Sissons was able to chip the puck over Nilsson’s shoulder to win the game. Two points acquired!
- Hello, Kyle Turris!
- My nightmares consist of Pekka Rinne somewhere way outside his crease.
- My dreams consist of Pekka Rinne making incredible saves on Elias Pettersson.
- Ryan Hartman OMG!
- Dan Hamhuis assisted on Hartman’s goal...happy birthday, Hammer!
- Nick Bonino makes it two!
- Rocco Grimaldi kills penalties, y’all.
- MOOKIE BETTS!!! In a bucket hat?
- Well, that was a rotten turnover.
- That was Jay Beagle’s first goal as a Canuck. Of course.
- I really like the combo of Kyle Turris-Calle Jarnkrok-Craig Smith.
- Hello Kevin Fiala! Holy helicopter!
- Hartman passed that puck to Josi BEHIND HIS BACK. Oh my!
- But...the play was definitely offside.
- THE CHANCES ARE KILLING ME.
- Rinne’s black-hole glove is just magical.
- Oh ok, two penalties on Nashville with less than five minutes remaining.
- That game of keep-away was fun!!!!
- Bonus hockey! One point acquired.
- Colton Sissons wins it for the Preds! What a tip!!!!
- Two points acquired. Let’s get focused for Saturday’s game, boys!
Tweets of the Game
Gah leee, that was a wicked shot from Hartman.— Robby Stanley (@RStanleyNHL) December 14, 2018
I really have no idea how to even begin to explain Clutch Time Scoring Forward Nick Bonino, but I’m not complaining.— Kate (@statswithkate) December 14, 2018
mookie betts is here. he's wearing a bucket hat. now they're playing "sweet caroline." what is this— Adam Vingan (@AdamVingan) December 14, 2018
Calle Jarnkrok now has 7 points (4g-3a) in his last 6 games (including tonight) against Vancouver. #Preds— Justin Bradford (@justinbbradford) December 14, 2018
Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Colton Sissons: What a tip-in from #10 to win the game in OT!!
- Ryan Hartman: He’s the speed and grind this team needs without Viktor Arvidsson.
- Nick Bonino: The veteran had one goal and one assist tonight.