‘Twas the week before Christmas and all through Nashville everyone wanted one last Preds win before they hit the road again.
Facing off against the Devils for the first time since their overtime win in New Jersey back in October, the Predators would have a little luck, as the Devils were without Taylor Hall, who didn’t make the trip.
The first period saw a lot of back and forth play but no goals until late in the period when Frederick Gaudreau blasted one home past Keith Kinkaid. The second period would go much the same way, with a lot of back and forth action but nothing to really show for it. Midway through Roman Josi scored a beautiful power play goal (yes you read that correctly), and the Devils immediately challenged for goaltender interference. Unfortunately the call on the ice was reversed and the score remained 1-0.
While the Predators looked a little more alive in the third, the Devils’ frustration was coming to life as well. With a little over two minutes remaining in the period, New Jersey pulled Kinkaid for the extra attacker and Brian Boyle tied the game. Regulation wouldn’t be enough for this one. Nashville had a few chances in overtime but this one would go to a shootout. Goals from Ryan Ellis and Ryan Johansen secured the shootout victory.
- We made it almost half of the first period without any penalties. New record?
- Is anyone going to score in the first period?
- Freddie G! It’s been like 87 years since he scored a goal.
- Lavy did not look even slightly amused by the Preds animated holiday video.
- I’m petitioning for a new power play song. Don’t @ me.
- Also petitioning for Nashville to stop taking penalties.
- That’s two games in a row that screaming Grinch video has scared the life out of me.
- Holy save, Juuse Saros. Good lord! All he wants for Christmas is some defense guys, come on.
- Roman Josi power play goal! Well I never!!!
- Oh...goalie interference. This seems familiar. No goal...cool...coal...coal for everyone!
- Dan Hamhuis is not having a good night. You okay Hammer?
- Craig Smith and the Almost Goal
- Saros is out here saving the world tonight.
- Ryan Hartman is...dancing. He too thinks this is the longest game in history and just wants to get it over with.
- I stan for Rocco Grimaldi.
- Hamhuis just tackled someone, that’s the kind of night he’s having.
- This game is never ending.
- Hammer vs. New Jersey
- And we’re tied with less than two minutes to go...this game really is never ending.
- At least we know pulling the goalie really does work y’all!
- Hartman definitely got away with a trip there.
- How you gonna miss that Kyle?!?!
- Oh, a shootout, because that Red Bull I chugged earlier wasn’t doing enough damage to my heart rate already.
- We’re going to go through the entire roster during this shootout, aren’t we?
- In the 100th round of the shootout Ryan Johansen straight Jedi mind-tricks Kinkaid and it’s game over. Finally!
Tweets of the Game
Visual for those keeping track at home pic.twitter.com/Q8OKNSQrNo— jingle rick (@ERock_28) December 16, 2018
Zajac just got JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUICE'D#Preds— FOX Sports Tennessee (@PredsOnFSTN) December 16, 2018
Meanwhile, during the challenge, a concert breaks out at Bridgestone. pic.twitter.com/4CNNiw5TcB— Paul Skrbina (@PaulSkrbina) December 16, 2018
53 minutes of stinkage.— Kristopher Martel (@kmartel_sports) December 16, 2018
7 minutes of awesome.#PredsVsDevilsInTwoSentences
I’m not one to holler “SHOOT”, but Joey...— Lady Preds (@Lady_Preds) December 16, 2018
OTF Super Duper Stars of the Game
Juuse Saros: I mean obviously. He had himself a game!
Ryan Johansen: That shootout goal was just what this game needed.
Frederick Gaudreau: He needed that goal tonight.