The Blackhawks and the Preds faced off at the United Center tonight. Chicago was able to pepper Rinne with dangerous shots in the first period with very little response from the Predators. While the Predators looked tired, Pekka Rinne did his thing in net and kept the Hawks off the board.
Kevin Fiala put the Predators up with 32 seconds remaining in the first off a gorgeous dish from Ryan Johansen.
The Blackhawks went on a power play early in the second period on a trip by Fiala. The Predators were able to kill the penalty successfully and continued their efforts against Hawks goaltender Cam Ward. The Preds got their first power play of the evening with 13:12 remaining in the second period. I bet you know how the power play went, eh?
Gustav Forsling tied the game for the Blackhawks with 4:38 remaining in the second. The Blackhawks went back on the power play at 16:59 of the second period and were able to add a second goal from Erik Gustafsson.
Ryan Ellis was whistled for tripping at 6:12 of the third period and Chicago returned to the power play. The Preds were able to kill of the Hawks’ man advantage and immediately went on the power play themselves, thanks to Ward’s outstretched stick. I bet you know how that power play went, too.
With Pekka Rinne on the bench, Nashville pressured with an extra attacker. Cam Ward continued to come up big for Chicago and the Predators were unable to find a tying goal. The Predators looked fairly tired and sluggish and their poor play resulted in their 8th straight road loss.
- Ryan Hartman trying to show his old club his speed...almost potted an early goal there on Cam Ward.
- Holy Rinne save!
- What are y'all doing????????
- Holy Rinne save x2!!!!
- Pekka Rinne is stacking pads and putting on a show.
- Fiala doing W-O-R-K.
- Rinne just survived about 10 net-front chances by the Hawks...can the rest of the Preds show up?
- Marcus Kruger is bleeding all over the place. Yikes. I’m positive Hartman feels awful about this one.
- I hope Coach Laviolette threw trash cans during intermission.
- Holy Rinne save x83!
- Colton Sissons requiring assistance to the locker room is NOT good. The replay showed an ankle roll.
- Rinne is the only reason this game isn’t 18-1.
- This is Nashville’s 8th straight road loss. Figure it out, boys.
Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Kevin Fiala: The Swiss winger gave the Predators a chance late in the first period.
- Pekka Rinne: The Finnish netminder kept the Predators in tonight’s game. He made several highlight reel saves in tonight’s loss.
Tweets of the Night
Not a particularly great start for the #Preds in this one either.— Robby Stanley (@RStanleyNHL) December 19, 2018
OG pad stacking from Rinne!— Chris Brooks (@CBrooksTN) December 19, 2018
The Predators are 0-6-2 on the road since starting the season 8-0. Nine of their next 12 games are on the road.— Adam Vingan (@AdamVingan) December 19, 2018