A still ragtag team of Nashville Predators finished off their home-stand Monday night, facing former backup goaltender Carter Hutton and a group of ridiculously fast young guns from the snowy wasteland of Buffalo.
Most of the first period’s action happened towards the end when the Predators went on the power play and Ryan Ellis blasted one right by Hutton. The Preds are now on pace to score up to 10 power play goals this season. Optimistically the power play can only...nope, not even going there.
Buffalo scored their first goal a little over five minutes into the second period, with a little help from the Predators. The goal was originally thought to have been scored by Jeff Skinner, but was later credited to Sam Reinhart. Not to worry because Kevin Fiala came through with an absolute snipe to put the Preds back up 2-1 to end the second.
The third period started with the Preds on the power play and while they couldn’t capitalize, they continued to hustle. Things got a little hairy at the end, but Rinne held strong and the Preds wrapped this one up 2-1, outshooting the Sabres 25-22. Not bad for a Monday night. They hit the road for a matchup against the Canucks on Thursday night.
- Tonight is Marvel night and I didn’t prepare any references
- I am here for first-line Ryan Hartman. I’m dubbing the Hartman-Johansen-Fiala line Johartala.
- What a laser from Ryan Ellis. I’ve been waiting all season for that!
- Bridgestone really wanted Carter Hutton to know it was all his fault.
- The longest skate blade fix in history?
- I’m going to need people to stop bulldozing into Pekka.
- They managed to make it through the penalty kill and then let Jeff Skinner score. Really?
- That Fiala snipe deserved the Bridgestone Standing O
- Hey free food!
- And right back to the penalty kill.
- That was a much livelier period of hockey. Let’s do it again in the third, but without the Buffalo goal.
- The Buffalo goal really wasn’t Jeff Skinner.
- Rinne stops Jack Eichel on a breakaway and I’m flailing internally.
- Oh no, the “woo-ers” are back.
- The third period has some pace to it, but honestly there’s not much happening.
- No “woo-ing” in Bridgestone. This is a “woo”-free zone. Seriously, stop it.
- The Bridge is loud for a Monday night against a team no one cares about. Don’t @ me.
- 2:06 left in the third. Will they pull Hutton?
- They pulled Hutton and took a timeout seconds later.
- “We are absolutely not tying this game and going into OT with Buffalo on a Monday night” - Pekka, probably.
- If they tie this game with 15 seconds left...Preds win!
- I wasn’t nervous...
OTF’s Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Ryan Ellis - he needed that laser power play goal just as much as we did.
- Pekka Rinne - because he kept us from losing to Buffalo on a Monday night.
- Kevin Fiala - he’s fine y’all...seriously.
Tweets of the Game
Sick dangles...Miika Salomaki?— J.R. Lind (@jrlind) December 4, 2018