Some nights are bad, and some are worse.
On a night where not many Predators came to the rink ready to play, the Jets jumped on the Predators early, scoring two quick goals. The second would be called back due to being offside, but the lead never left Winnipeg’s hands.
The Predators’ power play was another sore spot, going 0-4 with the man advantage. Furthermore, the defense looked extremely out of sorts. Perhaps the jumbling of defensive pairings is the cause, but communication in the defensive zone looked off all night. Numerous times, the Predators’ defenders were both caught yielding to the other, letting the Jets skate in for prime scoring opportunities. Couple in a few tough rebounds, and the Jets had their way seemingly all night.
The Predators’ next game is at home Saturday night against the Florida Panthers. Here’s hoping that they can learn from tonight and put the game in the past.
- And we’re off!
- Johansen with some great chances right out of the gate.
- Roslovic is playing really well on Winnipeg’s second line.
- Watson off the crossbar!
- Rinne makes a big stop, followed up by a bigger stop on Scheifele’s rebound attempt. Is it just me, or has Rinne been giving up a lot more big rebounds this season?
- Hamhuis loses track of Laine in the slot but Rinne bails him out.
- If they touch Arvidsson one more time I swear to God.
- 1-0 Jets. Lemieux scores a wrap around goal with Josi all over him; Rinne just fails to get his stick down and cover the spot. Can’s happen.
- Johansen takes his stick to Scheifele’s head and makes his way to the penalty box.
- 2-0 Jets. Wheeler scores on the PP; nobody boxed Connor out and he gets the perfect screen on Rinne.
- Challenge for offsides by Laviolette - AND NO GOAL. Score resets to 1-0.
- Forecheck while shorthanded by Austin Watson draws a penalty and puts the Preds on 4v4!
- I made a bad decision:
Doing 10 push ups for every PP the #Preds don’t score on for the rest of the season, wish me luck I may die— Bobby Misey (@Bmisey) January 18, 2019
- Wheeler and Scheifele take a 2-on-1 shorthanded but Rinne makes the stop. Wheeler high-sticks Johansen as the penalty expires. Preds back to the PP.
- Second period starts!
- Preds fail to convert on the PP.
- 2-0 Winnipeg. Fiala makes a terrible turnover in the offensive zone, but 20 seconds later Järnkrok forgets he has to box out his man and Winnipeg converts.
- Hamhuis to the box for hooking.
- 2-1 PREDS GOAL. Arvidsson scores on the rebound!
- 3-1 Jets. Right as the second period comes to a close, they manage to convert on another rebound.
- Third period!
- 4-1 Jets. I turn away for a minute to make decaf coffee and this happens. Ugh.
- Another power play! Wait...
- (10 more push-ups later...)
- I get they’re linemates now, but I really am not a fan of Josi and Subban together out on the #1 power play unit. It should just be Subban and four forwards.
- AND ANOTHER POWER PLAY AS THE JETS TAKE A HOOK! Wait...
- Oh my God Rinne please don’t mishandle the puck like that again.
- Ooooo Fil is MAD his shot got tipped.
- Penalty expires, more push-ups.
- And now P.K. Subban gets his arms stuck around Bryan Little and takes a hooking penalty.
- 5-1 Jets. Lemieux picks up his second goal of the night as he just whips a puck to the slot and it dings off of Yannick Weber and in. Great teams make their own luck. Case in point right here.
- Sissons you can’t make a no-look between-the-legs drop pass in the defensive zone.
- Pekka Rinne — the first goal was bad, but he was far and away the best Predator all night.
- Viktor Arvidsson — non-stop hustle and picks up the lone goal, which breathed life back into the Preds.
- Austin Watson — outstanding forechecking, drew a key penalty, fought hard all night when not many Predators had their best ready.
Tweets of the Night
Trying to figure out if I hate myself enough to do this. https://t.co/8FImvgfhVG— On The Forecheck (@OnTheForecheck) January 18, 2019
For every 7-2 win over the Caps, there's gonna be a 5-1 loss to the Jets.— Kristopher Martel (@kmartel_sports) January 18, 2019
Just hockey coming full circle.