No tricks here, Filip Forsberg finally returned to the Nashville Predators’ lineup Thursday night against the Calgary Flames, much to the hometown crowd’s delight. Nashville didn’t waste any time, with Nick Bonino finding the back of the net for his fourth goal in two games early in the first period. Austin Watson put up another quick goal giving the Preds an early, comfortable lead.
The Flames answered with a goal from Derek Ryan to cut the lead in half late in the first period. Calgary gained some momentum and even had a solid chance on the power play that just bounced off the post and into Pekka Rinne’s back before he covered it.
Calgary looked a little more alive going into the second period. Nashville received a bench minor for too many men on the ice, sending the Flames to the power play. The penalty swung in Nashville’s favor with Calle Järnkrok scoring a short-handed goal, giving the Preds their second two-goal lead of the night. Jarnkrok wasn’t done yet, as he then scored his second short-handed goal of the night, giving Nashville fans a Frosty Big Mac goal. Meanwhile the Flames went into the second intermission with only nine shots on goal.
The Flames came out to cut the Preds’ lead in half with a goal from Rasmus Andersson, trying to get back into the game. Confusion in front of the Preds’ net with six minutes remaining in the third period led to the Flames pulling within one off a goal from Elias Lindholm. With less than four minutes remaining the Flames rallied to tie the game.
Just when it looked like this game was going into overtime, Watson netted his second goal of the night, putting the Preds back in the lead with just under two minutes left in the game. Calgary pulled their goalie and the extra attacker gave the Flames the opportunity to tie the game again with a goal from Matthew Tkachuk and this one went to overtime after all. The Flames take this one in OT off another goal from Tkachuk.
The Preds are back at it on Saturday against the New York Rangers.
- The costumes in Bridgestone tonight are incredible! Smashville you’re fabulous.
- Nick Bonino is going to score 30 goals this season isn’t he?
- Austin Watson! The Preds are not wasting time tonight.
- The power play is not working so well.
- 6:08 left in the first and Pekka Rinne has faced 1 shot. The Flames are not so hot tonight. I’ll see myself out.
- And the Flames score. You can blame it on me.
- The Flames to the power play, Craig Smith to the box.
- Holy wow, the post bailed Pekka out on that one. You could hear that ping in the concourse!
- The Flames looks a little more alive here in the second.
- That’s twice now the post has been there for Rinne tonight. You okay Pekks?
- Jarny, shorty. Weeeeeeeeeee
- Watson signs an extension. I’m assuming not from the bench in the middle of the second period.
- With four minutes remaining in the second period, the Flames have eight shots on goal. Eight.
- Jarny with another short-handed goal! Please don’t dip your Big Mac in your Frosty.
- The Preds are running amuck on the Flames tonight.
- Flames are back in it now. Looking alive again.
- Craig Smith and Rocco Grimaldi collide at center ice. Smith is not having a great start this season.
- And the Flames pull within one. Not great.
- The Preds really just hanging on here with less than four minutes left in regulation.
- And the Flames tie it.
- Preds score, Flames tie it again...to OT we go!
- Are we going to a shoot-out?
- And the Flames win this one.
OTF’s Stars of the Game
- Calle Järnkrok - Two short-handed goals. That’s just something else.
- Austin Watson - Two goals, two assists, and a new contract, not a bad night.
- Everyone who wore a Halloween costume and stuck this one out till the very end.
Tweets of the Night
I think maybe Nashville is good. pic.twitter.com/TpVfWESV4P— Mark Lazerus (@MarkLazerus) November 1, 2019
bonino is haunting the scoresheet— waffle souse (@bortsoup) November 1, 2019
MATTVEMBER COMIN— J.R. Lind (@jrlind) November 1, 2019
A Frosty and a Big Mac Goal, we are blessed to be born in this era. #Preds | #CGYvsNSH— Thomas Willis (@TomAWillis) November 1, 2019
November 1, 2019
Before tonight:— Adam Vingan (@AdamVingan) November 1, 2019
Johansen: 0 goals in past eight games
Arvidsson: 2 goals in past seven games
Duchene: 0 goals in past six games
Granlund: 0 goals in past seven games https://t.co/8yp17DyHs2
Don't stop 'em now, they're having such a good time. #HockeyHalloween pic.twitter.com/2ZlxL5jTXI— NHL (@NHL) November 1, 2019
The Predators in the first period versus the Predators in the third period. pic.twitter.com/bPCSCi7lLs— Adam Vingan (@AdamVingan) November 1, 2019