After securing a big win against the Rangers, the Predators faced the Islanders on Tuesday evening. Craig Smith opened the scoring with around five minutes elapsed in the first period after jumping over the boards and lasering a goal past Isles goalie Thomas Greiss.
The Predators weathered their first penalty kill with ease. As the first period ticked on, the physical play ramped up steadily. The Preds went on their first power play of the evening right before the end of the first, but they were unsuccessful.
Brock Nelson found the equalizing goal on a 2-on-1 breakaway. With Austin Watson in the box for interference, the Islanders scored their second of the evening from Derek Brassard. Casey Cizikas added a third goal for the Islanders with the Predators on the power play.
Filip Forsberg pulled the Predators within one on the same power play. After getting hemmed into their zone by the Isles, Craig Smith tied the game off a beautiful feed from Kyle Turris. With just 1:36 remaining in the second period, Mattias Ekholm found the back of the net on a massive slap shot from the blue line. Ekholm’s goal would be credited to Nick Bonino.
Rocco Grimaldi seemed to want another goal, carrying over from the Rangers contest. He scored Nashville’s fifth of the contest on Greiss’s short side before the end of the second period.
With Semyon Varlamov in net, Calle Jarnkrok added a sixth goal for the Predators with just over 11 minutes left in the contest. On the power play, Roman Josi added a ridiculous seventh goal for Nashville. Not to be outdone, Ryan Johansen scored a slick wraparound goal to put the Predators up 8-3 over the Islanders.
Four points in two nights is a great way to start the week. The Predators will jet to Ottawa for a tilt against the Senators on Thursday.
- CRAIG! CROG! CRAIG NOG!
- Skating Robocop Yakov Trenin
- This power play is getting stinky.
- Ew, Dan Hamhuis.
- This game changed quickly.
- Oh, praise Fil.
- It’s definitely Craig-nog season.
- Uh...Rocco Grimaldi!!!!!! 5-3 good guys!!!
- The fourth goal now goes to Nick Bonino.
- Semyon Varlamov in net for the Islanders now.
- Calle Jarnkrok!!!
- I am so tired.
- Roman Josi adds a 7th goal.
- I was trying to sum up this game and Ryan Johansen scores an 8th goal.
- The Isles are playing dirty and shoving our guys around.
- Craig Smith and Scott Mayfield both get five for fighting and a ten minute misconduct. They’re done for the night.
Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Nick Bonino: What a freaking season for Nick Bonino.
- Craig Smith: Two goals for the streaky Smith. It’s nice to see him put a few pucks behind the goalie.
- Filip Forsberg: Another player who needed to “get going,” #9 was a threat tonight from all over the ice.
Tweets of the Game
Craig Smith scores his first goal since Nov. 7, ending a 16-game drought.— Adam Vingan (@AdamVingan) December 18, 2019
Smith’s goal is a great example of why it’s so important to win battles on the boards, which the Preds haven’t been doing. Bonino wins his battle (albeit barely) and it gets Smith space and a shooting lane in the slot where the Preds never shoot from— Bobby Misey (@Bmisey) December 18, 2019
My daughter blew her diaper out, and the Preds scored 2. So, you're welcome— Bryan Bastin (@projpatsummitt) December 18, 2019
This team is just bizarre. pic.twitter.com/rnAwFmf5YA— Katherine T. (@i24predsfan) December 18, 2019