The Nashville Predators and the Los Angeles Kings met again tonight for the first time since November. The Predators were just one point behind the Winnipeg Jets in the Central Division. Meanwhile, the Kings were just trying to make it through the season with some dignity.
With Craig Smith placed on IR earlier in the afternoon, and speculation about Viktor Arvidsson, who was absent at morning skate, there was a lot of questions about what tonight’s lines would look like.
Needless to say, the changeup sparked some interest in how tonight would go.
And did it go! Halfway through the first period Kyle Turris scored a beautiful power play goal, giving the Preds the early lead. The Kings had their chances as well throughout the period but weren’t able to make anything connect, thanks in part to some big saves from Pekka Rinne.
Frustrations mounted late in the first period and Brian Boyle and Dion Phaneuf decided to have a very brief and anti-climatic scuffle the resulted in fighting majors for the both of them.
Not even a minute into the second period Roman Josi banked his 14th goal of the season, putting the Preds up 2-0. The Preds saw a lot of chances after Josi’s goal and would even get another power play opportunity. While they weren’t able to connect, the pace of the game sped up significantly towards the end of the period, with the Kings not having much in the way of an answer to the Preds' continuous pressure.
The Kings finally got on the board halfway through the third period with a goal from Michael Amado. The Preds continued to pepper Jonathan Quick with shots, but overall it was not their strongest period of hockey. The Preds were able to put this one away despite a late push from the Kings.
- These lines...this should be fun.
- A power play goal! It only took the entire season but there might still be hope for the power play.
- Holy saves! I mean...Pekka is not a human being.
- Oh the Kings get a power play. The good news is their power play is almost as bad as ours.
- Why would you fight Brian Boyle? Why? He’s a giant. Just...why?
- Roman Josi! Oh Captain My Captain!
- The amount of backhanders that have not panned out for the Preds this period is something.
- The Kings are...not good.
- That was a very questionable penalty call on Ekholm there. I’ve had more aggressive paper-cuts.
- Oh Arvy...how did you not score there?
- Looks like the Kings are finally awake. I am not.
- The Kings score midway through the third...it just got, kinda, interesting.
- The Preds are this close to being that team that loses to Detroit and LA.
- Please don’t ruin this
- They didn’t ruin it.
OTF’s Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Roman Josi - The Captain! is rolling lately.
- Kyle Turris - Kicking off the scoring with a power play goal is always a nice start.
- The Power Play - 1 out of 3 ain’t bad!
Tweets of the Night
"Rewind that one, and hang on to it!"— NHL on NBC (@NHLonNBCSports) February 22, 2019
Have mercy, Pekka! pic.twitter.com/xhmno7dp9d
Evergreen tweet: Watching Rocco Grimaldi play hockey=fun.— Paul Skrbina (@PaulSkrbina) February 22, 2019
that entire third period was a heart attack.— Rachel K (@_RKH80) February 22, 2019