Tonight the Nashville Predators could not find an offensive groove against the Pittsburgh Penguins, going to a shootout and losing by a score of 2-1. Despite the loss, Pekka Rinne may have just played one of his best games this season, making stop after stop to keep the Predators in the game.
The first period was fast paced, but neither team was able to find the net. Viktor Arvidsson set the pace right out of the gate with a chance on Pittsburgh goaltender Matt Murray. Opportunities were traded back and forth, but nothing came to fruition.
The second period included numerous chances for the Predators’ power play to get on the board, but it expecting production from their unit was too much to ask. Pittsburgh even mustered a number of shorthanded chances. Eventually, at even strength, the Penguins struck to make it a 1-0 game.
The third period was the same story, coupled in with some more Predators penalties. Rinne kept making save after save, but the offense was nowhere to be found. Finally, with 3:01 left in the game, Ryan Ellis managed to tuck one under the arm of Murray on a sneaky shot from the goal line to tie the game.
Overtime was all Penguins after the first minute. They managed to trap the Predators in their own zone, denying them line changes. Letang missed a wide-open net right before time expired, sending the game to a shootout. Ryan Johansen, Ryan Ellis, and Brian Boyle were the shooters for the Predators, but each of them missed. Sidney Crosby did not, giving the Penguins a 2-1 win.
- Well so much for being healthy as I wanted to be; turns out my pregame meal is buffalo chicken bbq pizza instead of balsamic chicken salad.
- Arvidsson with a chance right out of the gate!
- Rinne with some key saves and Ryan Johansen takes offense to Bryan Rust.
- Turris is tripped and the Preds go on the power play! ...Oh, the Penguins have the second best penalty kill in the league?
- Aaaaaand they nearly score shorthanded. Rinne with two huge stops.
- That’s an end to the first! 0-0 tie game.
- Second period underway!
- Subban high sticked in the face right in front of the ref, no call.
- Bryan Rust scores, 1-0 Penguins.
- That goal is a great example of why you don’t try and do too much. Filip Forsberg and P.K. Subban both guilty, as Forsberg fell all the way back to the corner to help, leaving his point man open. Subban then rushes up to try and rectify Forsberg’s positioning mistake, leaving two men in the slot for Ekholm alone to cover.
- Another Penguins penalty, another fruitless power play.
- Granlund to the box, no Penguins goal on the power play.
- What. The unthinkable. Crosby takes a penalty. And it’s a soft call for tripping Ryan Ellis.
- End of the second, 1-0 Penguins.
- I was really hoping, instead of promoting the Predators wine festival, I would get Crispy’s opinion of what Cabernet Sauvignon he digs.
- Ooooh, tries the Preds wine and Crispy punts on his opinion, instead saying his wife would like it. Smart move, Crispy.
- Can I just watch Crispy tasting wine? Can we make that a podcast or something?
- Third period under way!
- Turris is reunited on the second line with Granlund and Smith.
- Jarnkrok is high sticked, another no-call.
- Oh now they call the high stick by Grimaldi. Never mind the two on Jarnkrok and Subban.
- Penalty killed off, shots are even at 24 apiece with 8:30 to go.
- HOLY RINNE. Stops two point blank shots in a row.
- AND ANOTHER ONE. Rinne’s on fire tonight.
- HAHAHAHA Ryan Ellis score the most cheeky of goals against Matt Murray with 3:01 to go. He comes down to the goal line by the corner and somehow sneaks a wrist shot through Murray. Tie game at 1-1!
- Overtime up next.
- GRANLUND WITH A CHANCE! Josi spins around the offensive zone and finds Granlund backdoor, but the pass is broken up at the last second.
- Predators get away with a bad line change that should have been a too many men on the ice penalty.
- Joey. My bud. Don’t cross check guys into your goalie. C’mon.
- Penguins miss a wide open net and time expires. Predators escape overtime, shootout up next.
- Joey misses. Stays with the slow move, stopped by Murray.
- Kessel takes a wrist shot from the slot with speed, Rinne blocks it wide.
- Ellis makes a move and sneaks it five hole, but Murray is just able to recover and stop it from crossing the goal line.
- Crosby scores. Comes in fast and puts it five hole with a quick-release snapshot.
- Bryan Boyle comes in and puts it in Murray’s chest. Penguins take the two points.
Three Stars of the Game
- Pekka Rinne. Made some stellar saves and gave the Predators a chance.
- Matt Murray. Made 28 saves on 29 shots. despite not being tested with the most dangerous shots.
- Terry Crisp. Wine guru of the decade.
Tweets of the Game
Not the power play. Anything but the power play.— On The Forecheck (@OnTheForecheck) March 22, 2019