Craig Smith opened up the scoring for Nashville less than two minutes into the game. A nicely placed puck from Matt Irwin was quickly deflected by Smith for the goal. It’s always good to see the Predators get on the board early.
A weird miscue behind Pekka Rinne led to a chance from Sidney Crosby, but the Nashville netminder stood tall. Filip Forsberg was whistled for a penalty and Pittsburgh went on the first power play of the evening. The Predators successfully killed the penalty and continued to pressure the Penguins.
The Predators returned to the penalty kill early in the second period. The Penguins failed to get set up in the Nashville end, and the Predators penalty killers were successful. With 12:26 remaining in the second period, Colton Sissons was sent to the sin bin for hooking and the Penguins went back to work. The home team was unable to find a tying goal on the power play.
The Predators finally got a chance on the power play toward the end of the second period. With Brian Boyle providing a large screen, Viktor Arvidsson whipped a beautiful wrister into the back of the net to put the Predators up by two.
At 5:42 of the third period, Colton Sissons was sent to the box a second time for hooking former Predator Matt Cullen. Pekka Rinne withstood every shot on the Pens power play.
With 9:50 remaining in the game, the Predators returned to the power play. Nashville was unable to convert with an extra man, however. With less than 3 minutes left in the period, P.K. Subban took a crisp pass from Smith and ripped home Nashville’s third goal of the game.
With Matt Murray on the bench, Nick Bjugstad put Pittsburgh on the board. The Pens continued to pressure, but the clock ran out on their efforts.
- Pekka’s navy pads are sweet.
- It’s Craignog time!!!
- That’s 20 goals for Craig Smith this season.
- Patric Hornqvist seems angry at everything.
- Filip Forsberg has great hair.
- Pekka Rinne, meanwhile, is doing Pekka Rinne things. In navy.
- Roman Josi has consumed an entire cooler of pre-workout, I see. The boy is on fire.
- Matt Irwin drank the same thing that Josi drank. He laid out Phil Kessel.
- STAY IN YOUR NET PEKKA!
- The boys are flying tonight!
- Oh boy, a power play for Nashville.
- VIKTOR ARVIDSSON IS LIFE.
- That’s Arvidsson’s 100th career goal. Be still, my heart. That’s also a career high in goals for #33. More, please.
- I guess Jake Guentzel is going to try to run over Rinne.
- I really love these navy pads.
- Oops, P.K. Subban adds another.
- Pens fans are not happy fans.
- Nick Bjugstad gets Pittsburgh on the board. It sort of looked like Rinne lost the puck.
Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Pekka Rinne: The navy pads certainly made Rinne look incredible while saving shot after shot tonight. 42 saves for the big guy in net.
- Craig Smith: “Craig-nog” scored his 20th of the season before folks even had a chance to get settled in their seats. A solid opening for a solid game.
- Viktor Arvidsson: The lifeblood of Nashville scored his 32nd goal of the season (a career high) and 100th career goal. We do not deserve #33.
Tweets of the Game
Pekka’s new pads though!— Hayley Alexandra (@itsHalesYeah) March 29, 2019
Craig Smith joins Filip Forsberg as the only players in #Preds history to record five 20-goal seasons.— Nashville Preds PR (@PredsPR) March 29, 2019