The Predators pressured the Stars early in tonight’s contest. With just over 5 minutes gone in the game, Austin Watson capitalized on a rebound and put Nashville up early in the game. Nick Bonino found a loose puck in the Nashville zone and found a way to get the puck on net, allowing Watson to convert.
The Predators went on a power play late in the first period. The boys in gold were unable to convert with the extra man. The Predators continued to pepper Ben Bishop with shots, but an unfortunate penalty by Watson put the Predators on the penalty kill with just over 2 minutes remaining in the first. The Predators killed the penalty and went into the first intermission with 19 shots on goal.
Dallas converted on a 3-on-1 chance to tie the game with 14:40 remaining in the second period. Blake Comeau was able to wrist a laser past Pekka Rinne as Mattias Ekholm tried to defend three Stars. With Comeau in the box for a delay of game, the Predators once again tried to score on the power play...with no luck.
The third period began with the teams tied at 1. The Stars and Predators played a wild period of hockey. Austin Watson was a one-man wrecking crew, and Rinne and Bishop continued to hold down the blue paint. Comeau was sent to the box once again with less than 2 minutes remaining in regulation. Nashville’s 0-for-14 penalty kill couldn’t find a way to score on the man advantage once again. Overtime.
The Stars opened up the overtime frame with incredible pressure and some solid chances in front of Pekka Rinne. With under 3 minutes remaining in overtime, John Klingberg threw a puck on net from the left circle and it leaked through Pekka Rinne. Nashville had plenty of chances to convert but could not find a way to solve Ben Bishop in the overtime frame.
Many congratulations are due to the Dallas Stars. Their fans were loud and proud and the team played an excellent series. They move on to face the St. Louis Blues, and that’ll be an absolute grinder.
- Lineup shuffles!
- Y'all ready for this?
- Icing, icing, missed “too many men” on Dallas...typical playoff officiating.
- What a move by Calle Järnkrok!
- Austin Watson puts the Predators on the scoreboard!!
- THE POST!
- This power play is still a disaster.
- Pekka Rinne’s glove is still a black hole for hopeful snipers.
- Outshoot the Stars...this is a good game plan (so far).
- Ben Bishop is earning a paycheck tonight.
- Pekka Rinne has also earned his paycheck tonight.
- JoFA has been nearly invisible.
- Yikes, Mattias Ekholm just took an elbow to the face/jaw area.
- THE POST AGAIN!
- Rocco Grimaldi is now on a line with Ryan Johansen and Viktor Arvidsson.
- The third period has opened up a ton...there’s 10 minutes left and everyone just BREATHE.
- Because this game really needs overtime, here’s overtime.
- Oh, Pekka Rinne. What a save.
- It’s over.
- Thanks for sticking with us this season, Smashville.
Tweets of the Night
Post!— Teresa Walker (@TeresaMWalker) April 23, 2019
“They almost killed it off themselves!” announce the Stars’ commentators. They’ve finally figured it out.— Kate (@statswithkate) April 23, 2019
Get you someone who looks at you like Anton Khudobin looks at Mattias Ekholm. pic.twitter.com/hWJTZP6Tad— Jim Diamond (@diamondhockey) April 23, 2019
preds are using the free trial version of a powerplay.— Tony - x (@soIoucity) April 23, 2019
Goaltender. Duel.— Robby Stanley (@RStanleyNHL) April 23, 2019