Welcome to On The Forecheck’s live NHL Trade Deadline coverage for the 2021 season. We’ll be updating this post frequently starting Sunday evening, as teams have already made four trades as Nashville was wrapping up the 3-2 shootout win over the Dallas Stars.
Trades will be added below as they happen, and we’ll be sure to let you know when we have any analysis involving the Nashville Predators, who are pushing for a playoff spot after an unpromising early season.
Monday, April 12th
- 2:41 PM - First reported by Kevin Weekes and confirmed by the teams. In what’s easily the biggest deal of the day, the Detroit Red Wings are sending Anthony Mantha to the Washington Capitals for an absolute haul; Jakub Vrana, Richard Panik, a 2021 1st rounder, and a 2022 second rounder. It’s probably one of the biggest “hockey deals” we’ve seen at the deadline in quite some time.
- 2:08 PM - Spoke too soon about the Preds. Multiple sources are reporting that they’re acquiring D Eric Gudbrandson from the Ottawa Senators for Brandon Fortunato and a 2023 7th round pick. More to come.
- 2:00 PM - Confirmed by the team: the Vegas Golden Knights have acquired F Mattias Janmark (75% salary retained, 25% by San Jose), D Nick DeSimone, and a 2022 5th round pick as part of a three-team deal with the San Jose Sharks and Chicago Blackhawks. San Jose receives the Buffalo Sabres’ 2022 5th round pick, while Chicago receives Vegas’s 2021 2nd round pick and 2022 3rd round pick.
TRADE: #SJSharks acquire 2022 fifth-round draft pick (BUF) from @GoldenKnights in a three-team trade with Vegas and @NHLBlackhawks.— San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks) April 12, 2021
As part of the transaction, defenseman Nick DeSimone has been traded to Vegas.https://t.co/9dywuvpYtw pic.twitter.com/oBNnF7mHgu
- 2:00 PM - Not a word out of Nashville. While there’s usually at least one late trade, the lack of even any smoke around the Preds makes me feel like this year might be the year they really do do nothing at all.
- 1:52 PM - Rumor: Pierre LeBrun reports the Canadiens-Flyers trade is D Erik Gustafsson (50% salary retained by Philadelphia) to Montreal for a 2022 7th round pick.
For a 7th RD pick in '22. And Flyers retain 50 percent salary/AAV— Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) April 12, 2021
So Gustafsson to Montreal for a 7th. https://t.co/KMlXjCzM8D
- 1:51 PM - Rumor: Frank Seravalli reports Florida has traded Emil Heineman and a 2021 2nd round pick to Calgary for Sam Bennett.
Sam Bennett goes to #FlaPanthers for 2nd round pick and prospect Emil Heineman— Frank Seravalli (@frank_seravalli) April 12, 2021
- 1:48 PM - Rumor: Elliotte Friedman reports the Montreal Canadiens are acquiring or have acquired D Eric Gustafsson from the Philadelphia Flyers.
Erik Gustafsson to MON— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) April 12, 2021
- 1:45 PM - Rumor: Chris Johnston reports the Florida Panthers are working to acquire F Sam Bennett from the Calgary Flames.
A trade is in the works to send Sam Bennett to Florida.— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) April 12, 2021
- 1:15 PM - Rumor: Stephen Whyno reports the Colorado Avalanche have reacquired F Carl Söderberg from the Chicago Blackhawks for Josh Dickinson and Ryder Rolston.
Josh Dickinson and Ryder Rolston from Colorado to Chicago for Carl Soderberg.— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) April 12, 2021
- 12:47 PM - Via Elliotte Friedman: the Los Angeles Kings have signed F Alex Iafallo to a 4-year extension worth $16 million. He was considered one of the top forwards potentially up for grabs, but he’s now off the board.
LA extends Iafallo, 4x4— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) April 12, 2021
- 12:36 PM - Confirmed by the team: the Dallas Stars have claimed D Sami Vatanen off waivers from the New Jersey Devils.
- 12:30 PM - There’s been a lot of fan discussion regarding the return Buffalo received from Taylor Hall. In his introductory press conference in Boston, Hall gave a comment that seems to indicate he had pretty strong control over his final destination.
The full question and answer of Taylor Hall and the trade options for Sabres GM Kevyn Adams. pic.twitter.com/zSefYHgtJr— John Vogl (@BuffaloVogl) April 12, 2021
If true, that kind of play would absolutely impact Sabres’ GM Kevyn Adams’s options. You have to wonder if there were more lucrative options on the table that fell apart because Hall nixed the destination.
- 12:14 PM - Rumor: Darren Dreger reports the Vegas Golden Knights will acquire F Mattias Janmark and a 2022 5th round pick from the Chicago Blackhawks for a 2021 2nd round pick and a 2022 3rd round pick.
Janmark to Vegas. Vegas 2nd to Chicago. Flip VGK 3rd for Hawks 5th next year.— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) April 12, 2021
- 12:10 PM - Confirmed by the teams: the New Jersey Devils trade D Dmitry Kulikov to the Edmonton Oilers for a conditional 2022 4th round pick.
- 12:50 AM - Pittsburgh acquires F Jeff Carter (50% salary retained) from Los Angeles for a 2022 conditional 3rd round pick and 2023 conditional 4th round pick.
- 6:58 AM - The Bruins and Sabres officially announce the Taylor Hall and Curtis Lazar trade Darren Dreger reported Sunday night.
Sunday, April 11th
- 11:01 PM - Confirmed by Darren Dreger: Boston acquires F Taylor Hall and F Curtis Lazar (IR) for F Anders Bjork and a 2021 2nd round pick
Confirming. Hall and Lazar to Boston for Bjork and 2nd round draft pick.— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) April 12, 2021
- 10:55 PM - Rumor: Elliotte Friedman reports F Taylor Hall is indeed heading from Buffalo to Boston.
Taylor Hall to BOS— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) April 12, 2021
- 10:39 PM - Rumor: Darren Dreger reports Curtis Lazar is going to the Buffalo Sabres from the Boston Bruins, likely as part of a deal for F Taylor Hall
Told Curtis Lazar is going to Boston from the Sabres. Reason to believe this is part of a bigger deal. Awaiting word on Hall. Stay tuned.— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) April 12, 2021
- 10:10 PM - Unconfirmed by team: the Pittsburgh Penguins acquire F Jeff Carter from the Los Angeles Kings for two draft picks and 50% salary retained
LAK will be retaining salary on Carter and receiving a couple of conditional draft picks from PIT.— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) April 12, 2021
- 10:10 PM - the Boston Bruins acquire D Mike Reilly from the Ottawa Senators for a 2022 3rd round draft pick
- 10:03 PM - the New York Islanders acquire D Braydon Coburn from the Ottawa Senators for a 2022 7th round pick
- 9:48 PM - the Toronto Maple Leafs acquire G David Rittich from the Calgary Flames for a 2022 3rd round pick and 50% salary retained
- 5:26 PM - Three-way trade, with the Columbus Blue Jackets (acquire 2021 1st round and 2022 4th round picks from TOR), San Jose Sharks (acquire 2021 4th round pick from Toronto) and the Toronto Maple Leafs (acquire Stefan Noesen from SJS, Nick Foligno from CBJ/SJS with 50% retained)