Nashville Predators 3, Carolina Hurricanes 2: Forsberg Breaks Record In Preds Win
The Predators pull out a comeback win of their own and Filip Forsberg goes in the record books.
The Nashville Predators returned home to face the Eastern Conference bottom dwelling Carolina Hurricanes, who certainly didn't seem so bottom dwelling tonight. After giving up a power-play goal early, the Preds took a couple of periods to find offense. When they finally did, Ryan Ellis, Mike Fisher and Roman Josi all scored for the Predators, who HELD ONTO A ONE GOAL LEAD WITH OVER FOUR MINUTES LEFT IN THE GAME! Eric Staal and Justin Faulk scored for the Hurricanes, but Pekka Rinne was solid in net again to go along with a highlight reel save in the 1st.
Back in the win column!
- Preds cheating into the offensive zone early, with several guys getting good chances. Mattias Ekhlolm came down into the offensive zone and ran the cycle for a moment almost like Mike Ribeiro. Almost.
- Pekka just saved a wide open scoring chance with his left calf. Think about that... his left calf. It was absolutely unreal.
- Even after that miraculous save, the Canes take a 1-0 lead on a power-play goal by Eric Staal, who got a friendly deflecttion with his brother Jordan Staal creating traffic in front.
- Canes outshooting the Preds 13-10 at this point, but it doesn't feel like it. Preds have had a lot of chances, just not getting shots on net with regularity.
- Struggling to get the puck out of our own zone right now. Doing a good job supporting Rinne, but the boys need to generate some possession and move it forward... half a league onward! (sort of)
- Safe to say this is a disappointing overall game so far for the Predators. In previous games, the Preds have responded to going down a goal with a furious counter punch, sometimes netting multiple goals. The home team has a big donut on the board and find themselves down 1-0. They did get 12 shots in the second, an improvement from the first. And they will start the third period on the power-play. Dig in and go get a couple goals.
- The urgency is there. The effort is there. The skill is there. PUT THE PUCK IN THE NET.
- Ryan Ellis just drilled a one-timer off the pipes and you could hear it in Berry Hill.
- And then Ellis SCORES! And who can Ellis thank for that goal? Well, Cam Ward because he should have sealed off the post... but also Viktor Stalberg, who used his speed to create space down the right side and left a perfect pass for Ellis to pick up towards the net. Tie game... finally!
- But a bad penalty by Bourque leads to another Canes goal less than 4 minutes later. Justin Faulk from the blue-line with traffic in front. Uggggh, and so it continues.
- FISHAY FISHAY! Mike Fisher wastes no time in getting the score tied again as he slams home the rebound in front of Ward. Heck of a third here.
- Filip Forsberg, with an assist on the Fisher goal, has just broken the Predators rookie points record set by Alex Radulov. Stay tuned the rest of the season as he proceeds to smash the record firmly into the ground where it will never be seen (or broken) again. LONG LIVE THE PRINCE
- PREDS LEAD! Roman Josi beats Cam Ward high on his glove side to take the lead!
- I suppose it was only a matter of time. But good teams have to play through games like this occasionally... and really good teams find themselves on the winning end.
- Stupid stupid stupid time to get a penalty. Unbelievable. Gaustad how could you.
- WE HELD A LEAD, THANK YOU JESUS (AND HIS MANY FRIENDS)
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Viktor Stalberg: THIS IS NOT A JOKE. Two assists, great energy, smart decisions with the puck.
- Roman Josi: Game winner to go along with 4 shots on goal
- Pekka Rinne: back to normal it seems, making big saves when they were needed. Just more support for resting him as often as possible? /
Tweets Of The Game
Are the Hurricanes the Oilers of last season? #preds— Frank The Turtle (@LavysTurtle) January 7, 2015
I hope gaustad nystrom stalberg line scores to make the puke in my mouth taste better seeing them together on the ice— Murph (@dammitskipp) January 7, 2015
Suck it @RADUL22. #PrinceFilip— George Scoville (@OTFGeorge) January 7, 2015
Boxscore - Game Summary - Event Summary - War-on-Ice - HockeyStats - Natural Stat Trick
Roll the video highlights...