Nashville Predators 3, Florida Panthers 2: Forsberg Stymies A Comeback
Hockey fans were treated to a thrilling matchup Saturday night in Nashville as the Predators came away with a 3-2 overtime-shootout win, with Filip Forsberg netting the only shootout goal for either team. What a game!
The Nashville Predators looked to bounce back from Thursday's 3-2 loss in Ottawa with a Saturday night tilt against the Florida Panthers. They certainly had the energy and offensive pressure early, putting on quality shots and creating all kinds of problems for the young Florida defense. They pumped in 50 shots on net, while holding the Panthers to 30.
Pekka Rinne was a rock in net for most of the game, collecting 28 saves, until that furious, stunning comeback by the Panthers in the final minute of regulation. After another onslaught by the Predators in the 5 minute overtime, the Preds come away with an OT Shootout win with everyone's favorite Swede chipping in the shootout winner.
- Pekka Rinne back in net. Sorry, the Carter Hutton hate will have to take a night off.
- The Predators with a furious, get shots on goal approach early in the 1st. Both teams getting up the ice quick, breezing through the neutral zone.
- Predators brought a lot of early pressure. Getting quality shots on goal, drawing penalties, keeping the game physical on the boards, out-shot the Panthers 14-4... solid 1st period, but no goals to show for it.
- Carrie Underwood is apparently a cradle-robber.
- Ryan Ellis, after falling down while back-pedaling in the defensive zone, was completely bailed out by Rocco Grimaldi deciding to pass instead of shoot. Could have been 1-0 Panthers a few minutes into the 2nd.
- The shot differential is partly due to some poor decisions by the Florida Panthers in the offensive zone. Could easily have 8-10 more shots on goal, but have elected to pass instead. Preds with a near 3-1 shot ratio early that could be a lot more even.
- Incredible offensive zone pressure by the Preds. They are dominating in every aspect except the goals column. They've out-shot the Panthers 33-18 at the end of the 2nd Period.
- Naturally, after 30+ quality shots on goal by the Preds, Colin Wilson scores on a cheapy from behind the Florida net. It banked in off of Luongo's facemask and in. I'll take it, but this has to be more fodder for the elevated PDO indicators, right?
- The very definition of a momentum shift: letting a 5-3 power-play opportunity slip away and then promptly going to the penalty kill. Special teams = a special kind of mess right now.
- Pekka Rinne's save of the night came off a stick save that he had to coral in moving to his right with the Panthers on the power-play. A fantastic and timely stop.
- Unbelievable pass by Derek Roy to find Matt Cullen wide open in the slot for the 2nd goal. How did he see that? Cullen with the quick wrister, but Roy made that goal happen.
- The Corsi numbers are going to look incredible for the Preds tonight. HCPL, eat your heart out.
- The double ding save by Pekka Rinne's metallic friends in the crease. #Whew
- Unbelievable comeback by the Panthers. What in the jank just happened? 2 goals in the final minute with the goalie pulled? How often does that even happen? Grimaldi gets the Panthers on the board and then Nick Bjugstad ties it up.
- [Insert Predators Player] robbed by Luongo in overtime.
- Shootout: Roy, Ellis, Smith... no dice.
- Sneaky poke-check by Rinne on Bjugstad!
- FILIP FORSBERG... OF COURSE!
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Pekka Rinne, who effectively Jedi-mind tricked the Panthers into not shooting the puck several times. "Theses aren't the goals you're looking for."
- Matt Cullen/Derek Roy whose connection to go up 2-0 was beautiful.
- #PrinceFilip... let the legend continue. /
Tweets of the Night
#Preds lead 1-0 after 2 thanks to Colin Wilson's tally that was of the soft as room temperature margarine variety. #FLAvsNSH— Brooks Bratten (@brooksbratten) November 23, 2014
the glory days of the barry trotz power play— J.R. Lind (@jrlind) November 23, 2014
Boxscore - Game Summary - Event Summary - War-on-Ice - HockeyStats - Natural Stat Trick
Roll the video highlights...