Nashville Predators 3, Winnipeg Jets 1: MVPekka
Preds win, Rinne was sensational, Forsberg was Forsberging... This game was must see TV! Oh wait...
The Predators beat the Jets 3-1 in front of a raucous home crowd tonight. While your Forsbergs and Webers and Neals all did great things, this game belonged to Pekka Rinne. The Jets had so many scoring chances end with his glove, pad, stick, chest, face, toe, knee, etc. It was a little ridiculous. He was just ON.
With 32 saves, it was probably the best non-shutout game he has played this year. The Jets looked like they were playing Pong with the goal crease.
And by the way, the first team to reach 80 points in the NHL this season are your Nashville Predators. ALL THEY DO IS WIN WIN WIN.
- And just like that the Captain scores!! With :01 left on an early power-play, Weber canons one home from the point. The Jets had a great penalty-kill going, too. Another early home lead for the Preds...
- Ondrej Pavelec oh MY. Colin Wilson had the puck wide open in front, but Pavelec snags the backhand try with his glove. Incredible save really, though Wilson should have done better. Saves don't get much prettier than that.
- Soon after, the Jets tie it on a power play goal of their own. Michael Frolik tipped home a shot by Dustin Byfuglien from the point. Just like the 1st kill by the Jets, the Preds did a great job on the PK, up until the last 20 seconds or so. Tie game. This is budding into a beauty of a game.
- The next power play opportunity by the Preds was a great one. 4 shots, lots of movement, many good chances, interesting player combinations... no goals though. Fisher-Forsberg-Neal looked especially dangerous.
- Scoresberg does it again! On the power-play, Fil had plenty of time and space in the left circle and makes it count. He's is developing an almost Ovi like tendency from that spot... and like Ovi, you wonder when teams will stop letting him have the puck with so much time and space over there. He now holds the Preds rookie record for goals in a season with 19. What a kid.
- The following just happened: the Jets maintained puck possession in the Preds defensive zone for over 2 minutes. Bourque, Jarnkrok, Cullen, Bartley, and Bitetto were on the ice for most of it. The Preds barely touched the puck. The Jets, somehow, didn't score and only got 1 shot. Bartley and Bitetto had a shift of 2:29. Again, all these things just happened.
- Pekka, save, pads, awesome, beautiful, quick, tall, pads, Vezina, incredible...
- Preds will have to kill off another penalty to start the 3rd and WOW Pekka just made another incredible save. Moving from left to right he made a textbook diving face-mask save to protect the lead with the Jets on the power-play... Just another for the highlight reel.
- Pekka is the truth. He and the Preds just killed off a huge 5-on-3. Seriously, he was a WALL.
- Pekka was just voted the 7th man. And the 8th.
- Neal has a backhand? Who knew! He scores to make it 3-1. FREEZER GOAL.
- Before that, Weber drilled Tyler Myers with a slapper. Right in the knee. Didn't look good for Myers, obviously.
- I am starting to think that Forsberg is actually a hockey alien. I feel like I remember seeing strange lights above Bridgestone Arena earlier this year, and perhaps a mutilated cow over by Sulphur Dell.
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Pekka Rinne: 32 saves. Pekka don't need no TV to steal the spotlight.
- Filip Forsberg: 1 goal, 1 assist tonight, and a great presence on the power-play. He now has 21 points against Central Division teams.
- Shea Weber: 3 points (1g, 2a) for the Captain, who was a howitzer from the blue-line tonight.
Tweets Of The Night
That might be one of Pekka's 5 best saves of the season. #6 for him is #1 for most goaltenders.— #FreeStalberg (@Predalytics) February 13, 2015
Last season, the #Preds highest scoring forward was Patric Hornqvist with 53 points. Filip Forsberg already has 50 in 54 games.— Thomas Willis (@TomAWillis) February 13, 2015
Oh. My. Goodness. https://t.co/l5QWe6Klco— On The Forecheck (@OnTheForecheck) February 13, 2015
rinne just won the jack adams and the nba finals mvp award— Trevor Chort (@trevor_0) February 13, 2015
Boxscore - Game Summary - Event Summary - War-on-Ice - HockeyStats - Natural Stat Trick
Roll the video highlights...