Nashville Predators 5, Dallas Stars 3: Weber's Return Ignites Preds
The Predators continued their hot streak tonight against the Stars.
This game was a statement game for the Predators.
Craig Smith started the scoring in the first period to give the Preds the early lead. That lead did not last long as the Stars scored seconds later with a goal from Antoine Roussel. In the second period, Calle Jarnkrok scored a goal to give the Predators the lead back once again. Shea Weber added an insurance marker later in that period to give the Preds a 3-1 lead. Mattias Ekholm put one into the net shortly after Weber's goal. Jason Spezza cut the lead in half on a 5-on-3 powerplay.
The third period started with a powerplay for the Preds. They weren't able to convert on it, but shortly scored after with a goal from James Neal. Vernon Fiddler made things interesting by scoring half way through the third period.
In the end though, the game ended as a 5-3 victory for Nashville.
- What was going on with the Preds in the first few minutes of the game. They had players falling all over the place. From the looks of it, you would have thought that Nashville was the one coming off a back to back.
- The pace in the first period was exciting. Both teams had some quality chances. But let's be real, the Central Division is too loaded with talent to not have games move at a fast pace.
- Man, Roman Josi is so damn good everyone. That blocked shot he had in the first on Tyler Seguin was clutch. The last thing the Preds needed was to go down early in this one. And if that wasn't enough, he had that desperation poke check in the same period. He is really good at hockey guys.
- But fault Mike Ribeiro for being out-muscled by Seguin in the first place. If he isn't manhandled like that, the scoring chance never happens. Bad Ribs. Bad.
- I gotta give it to Pekka Rinne. I don't know what he did to get his game back, but whatever it was, worked.
He was really seeing the puck well tonight.I am the king of putting my foot in my mouth. It's a curse really.
- Smith has been red hot as of late. Only if we had this Craig Smith from the get go....
- Well that lead did not last long at all.
- Man it is good to see the first line scoring again. They needed something to get going again.
- Holy cow Colin Wilson just leveled Jordie Benn. Remember this moment everyone, because that could have very well been the highlight of his season.
- Man is it great to have Shea Weber back or what?!? Oh how I have missed that bomb from the blue line.
- Anyone think the Preds remember that beating the Stars gave them earlier in the season?
- Are we finally seeing the real Predators team that we expected to see all year? I think so. I also think the fact the David Poile didn't make another trade at the deadline gave this team to confidence to continue their hot streak.
- Was it just me, or was the ref yelling every time he announced a penalty? He was definitely excited about this game tonight.
- Well that 5-on-3 that Dallas had late in the second could have been a lot worse. It makes me more mad that it was Spezza that scored to cut the lead in half.
- Weber's shot was so hard, he literally brought Kari Lehtonen to his knees.
- NEAL!!!!! He is alive!
- Turnovers are what killed this team during their slump. Let's hope they don't make it a habit again.
- Look at Jamie Benn getting into the fighting world. That's how you know we frustrated them.
OTF's Super Duper Stars of the Game
- Shea Weber: He had a big game in his return tonight. 1 goal and 2 assists in case you were wondering.
- James Neal: He finally got back on the score board in this one, and he notched an assist.
- Pekka Rinne: He gave up three goals, but he also made 35 saves./
Tweets Of The Night
Dallas Stars also acquired immunity to tripping and interference at the deadline.— On The Forecheck (@OnTheForecheck) March 2, 2016
Colin Wilson just trucked Jordie Benn. Remember Colin Wilson?— Adam Vingan (@AdamVingan) March 2, 2016
March 2, 2016
Weber misses three games...Weber has three points. Sorcery!— Justin Bradford (@justinbbradford) March 2, 2016
Boxscore - Game Summary - Event Summary - War-on-Ice - HockeyStats - Natural Stat Trick
Roll the video highlights...