Nashville Predators Sign Defenseman Trevor Murphy to ELC
It's always a good sign when a guy gets a contract immediately after getting off the plane to town. Right?
The Predators made some roster news today, signing a young defenseman to an entry-level deal. Trevor Murphy, who applied his craft for the Windsor Spitfires last season, made it official today. Firstly, here's the release from the folks at 501:
Nashville, Tenn. (September 17, 2015) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced Thursday that the team has signed defenseman Trevor Murphy to a three-year entry-level contract.
Murphy, 20 (7/17/95), has spent the past four seasons in the Ontario Hockey League split between the Peterborough Petes (2011-12) and the Windsor Spitfires (2012-15), amassing 140 points (42g-98a) and 296 penalty minutes in 235 games. Serving as an alternate captain for his hometown Spitfires in 2014-15, the Windsor, Ont., native ranked third among OHL defensemen in goals (24), tied for fourth in points (63) and ranked fifth in assists (39). The 5-10, 175 pounder was also one of just two OHL blueliners to post at least 40 points and 100 penalty minutes during the campaign.
A teammate of Predators forward Austin Watson with Peterborough in 2011-12, Murphy attended Predators Development Camp in July, Rookie Camp last week, and is currently in attendance at Training Camp.
Here's what we know about this guy:
- He's left handed. Glad we can clear that up immediately.
- EliteProspects.com says "he's an offensive defenceman who skates well, makes good passes and can quarterback the powerplay. He also likes to play physical although he is undersized. Top 10 in OHL defenceman scoring this season."
- Windsor's roster page lists him at 5'10'' and 180 pounds.
- Windsor's roster page says his favorite B-DUBS Signature Sauce is Honey Garlic.
- 63 points in 59 games last year. You gotta love junior hockey. /