Thoughts and Feelings: Rookie Camp Day 2
Sunday wrapped up the weekend's festivities at Ford Ice Center, which had just a fantastic atmosphere all around. People are genuinely excited for this facility (and for hockey to come back in general) as evidence by the rookie games being jam packed with people. Even the games not featuring the Preds were full.
Since we did a quick recap yesterday, we'll do the same tonight:
- The Boston vs. Tampa Bay game seemed to go on forever. There aren't a ton of prospects on either side that have particularly stood out. Jonathan Drouin was "meh" today.
- That said, David Pastrnak of the Bruins is pretty dang good. Kristers Gudlevskis and Andrei Vasilevskiy are both solid goaltenders for the Lightning. If something happens to Evgeni Nabokov this season, (like, you know, age) expect one of them to be up to replace him.
- Sweet fancy Moses is Kevin Fiala raising some eyebrows. The 18-year-old has clearly been the best player on the ice (from all squads) and is showcasing his speed and talent all over the place.
- There were about a thousand penalties called in the Nashville vs. Florida game. I'm pretty sure the teams spent more time playing down a man (or two) than they did at even strength, and I'm not even kidding. 5v5 is for suckers, anyway.
- Joshua Brown is mean and stupid and you should boo him the next time you see him.
- The Predators lost 3-1 to the Panthers tonight. Colton Sissons scored the only goal for Nashville, and it was a beauty. Sissons scraped up a rebound and sent it top-shelf. For some reason, I'm rooting for him to make the team the most.
Finally, you may not know this but we like to have fun here at OTF. Sometimes, that means egging on the opposing team, as Dan was quick to do tonight:
During the Panthers warmups, @notjasonzito brought the official @OnTheForecheck GoPro to the glass. I made a sign. pic.twitter.com/BLEQXnCUjX— Dan D Bradley (@DanDBradley) September 15, 2014
On the Forecheck came under fire (literally) from a bunch of giggling 18 year olds, who just so happen to be able to fling vulcanized rubber at 100 mph. Yes, we were attacked by Panthers. See for yourself:
Mangy cats. :)